Ever wondered how to make those damned curving arches from the silos in Episode 2? (The menu map once you’ve finished the game).
Imgur Album, follows tutorial: http://imgur.com/a/DCYVt#0
- Make yourself a 90 degree - 256x256 arch with a 32 wall width and 6 sides.
- Rotate it until it’s a wall and a ceiling relatively and double its length.
- Duplicate the arch and in the top view Rotate one of the arches x degrees (default is 15, holding alt makes it 0.5) and the other one -x degrees.
- (In top view) Using the vertex manipulation tool, grab all the vertices of one of the arches and snap the topmost vertex onto the grid by dragging and dropping it. Do the same with the other arch, snapping the topmost vertex of that one onto the other’s topmost vertex by dragging and dropping it.
- Clip down the center.
- Remove scraps.
- Rinse and repeat.
- Do this process whatever angles you want, just make sure they add up to 90 to easily conform to your usual grid.
Also, if you want to add ceiling or wall that’s not part of the arch, just rotate the kindred arches until the edge you want to clip the ceiling along is 0 or 45 degrees relative to the grid and has one of its vertices on the grid.
My first tutorial, thoughts?