Custom Alpha channels?

Hey there. Im trying to make my alpha channels work but I cant get it to. Ive modelled a weed plant for a client and im trying to get the alpha channel to work.

The weed texture has a diffuse, normals and alpha map which I made in photoshop and here is the VMT file for the 3:


"VertexlitGeneric"
{
	"$basetexture" "models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_d"
	"$normalmap" "models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_n"
	"$surfaceprop" "Grass"
	"$translucent" 1
	"$vertexalpha" 1
}


How do I add a line for the Alpha map that i have made to take effect in this since translucent and vertex alpha dont work?

it think $bumpmap is better. :wink: and translucent should actually do that. the vertexalpha is not really working for vertexlit models. only particle models and/or only pure particles support that. now… in which format your exported the basetexture. you gotta use dxt5 or uncompressed rgba.

Still nothing :frowning:

Heres my VMT now:

“VertexlitGeneric”
{
“$basetexture” “models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_d”
“$normalmap” “models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_n”
“$bumpmap” “models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_a”
“$surfaceprop” “Grass”
“$translucent” 1
}

[editline]21st February 2016[/editline]

Also heres the textures, what i want is the custom alpha map i have to take an effect on the model:

ehh.



vertexlitgeneric
{
	$basetexture "models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_d"
	$bumpmap "models/ganjaman_potplants/weed_n"
	$translucent 1

	$surfaceprop "Grass"
}


now the alpha gotta be put into the alpha channel of the basetexture. dunno photoshop. but gimp. add a layermask to the diffuse and copypaste that alpha texture in there. then export in that one of those formats i mentioned.

and… :|… as it looks you’ll have a lil bit to mess with both diffuse and alpha since the mask seems rather broken or split between that and the diffuse map.

Ah alrighty, il try this, thanks! :slight_smile:

Don’t use gimp whatever you do, gimp sucks with transparency.

You can use this nifty tool to import an alpha channel then export as a tga

Shit this actually worked, thanks ;D