DarkRp - Edit %s

I want to make it so that when someone is wanted it says “Blah is wanted by the police! (Officer Bob)”

The code just says “%s is wanted by the police!” So if I put “%s is wanted by the police! (Officer %s)” how will lua interpret %s?

Look in languages_sh.lua or something like that. It formats it and takes the first and second string for string.format.

As to speak, whatever is used in string.format will replace the %s. If you do what you suggest then I presume it would just use the first name unless you added a new string to the string.format.

[lua]string.format("%s is wanted by the police" , “Officer Bob”)[/lua]

Never used string.format myself, should work though.

**[String.format

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/favicon.ico](wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=String.format)**

What you suggested there will make it Officer Bob is wanted by the police: where as I believe he is trying to achieve the effect of:

[lua]string.format( “%s is wanted by the police (Officer %s)”, “wantedplayer”, “bob” );[/lua]

Wrote it in under a second, oh well. At least it would work as an example.

Yeah pretty much, I’m just somewhat familiar with DarkRP and I’m sure that it’s used like that (and similar to as you said).

(:

But how does the base DarkRP Know what the %s is, I never saw it anywhere.

It’s a way for languages to recognize a string inside a string without having to use concatenation. Low level programming languages use it a lot.

You can usually identify them easily, for example,

%i is an integer, a number.
%.2f is a float with 2 decimals, ex. 4.15

DarkRP uses it inside the actual functions. What it does is like… Hmm…

If you have in the languages file say…
[lua]wanted = “%s has been wanted by police!”[/lua]

Then in the main.lua file (I presume) there will be a function say
[lua]function Wanted( pl, WantedPlayer )
// code
end[/lua]

Imagine the WantedPlayer:Name() = Bob.

In that function there will be something such as:
[lua]Notify( pl, 1, 4, string.format( wanted, WantedPlayer:Name() ) );[/lua]

That will then notify the player:

Bob has been wanted by police!

They do this because they probably use that same string a lot in different functions - it saves time writing it out again and again.

Pretty simply put, %s is a format code for string, so when you put an %s in a string in the first argument of string.format(), whatever string is put in the second argument is what shows up in place of %s, and if you were to have more than one %s, then you would just add another string argument for however many %s there are.