DarkRP Lag With 50+ players.

Hello everyone.
I own a Garrysmod server, running DarkRP 2.5.
We have had some problems recently and would like to get them fixed as soon as possible.

We have extreme lag problems, averaging around 10-40 FPS, mostly 20, just for my computer
GTX 780, etc etc.
I’ve taken it that it is not normal for a server like this to have that much low FPS for all players.

Here are some addons that can do a price towards FPS.
Such as TDM, printers, drug system, entities, playermodels, etc.
chatbox, pointshop, few sweps mostly M9K Full, etc…

I see alot of other servers running highpriced addons, and I don’t see why they do not
drop FPS like mine, and we have less addons.

Could it be the server settings?
We lowered the tickrate down to 33, and it’s still pretty bad on a filled server.

Is the server.cfg not correct for a normal DarkRP server that gets alot of visits?

Server.cfg:

net_maxfilesize 64
sv_maxrate 0
sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxupdaterate 66
sv_minupdaterate 10
sv_mincmdrate 10
sv_maxcmdrate 60
heartbeat
tv_enable 0
sv_region 0
sv_max_queries_sec 3
sv_max_queries_sec_global 150
sv_stats 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 1
net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000
fps_max 0

Thank you for all help and support given!

What host? What machine? Dedicated machine? Chances are your cpu usage is past 100%. Same thing happened to me when I was getting 65 players average. I removed a bunch of cars and weapons and it fixed. Now the new gmod updated fucked everything up! Yay.

[editline]21st March 2015[/editline]

Try 15 or 22 tick rate btw

Thanks for the reply.

Hosted on a Intel Xeon E3-1270 (Sandy Bridge 3.4ghz) node with 4 total processor cores and 32 gigabytes of RAM.

Dedicated, from a popular server hoster.
CPU usage: 27.58%
Free physical memory: 22797mb
Machine uptime: 37 days, 14 hours, 2 minutes, 3 seconds

All I really have is M9K Full as in for weapons.
TDM only for cars.
Rest of the addons are to enrich the server, nothing to extreme.

In all honesty unless you know exactly what you are doing with code and can optimize the shit out of those mentioned adding (or even rewrite them) you most likely reached your server’s limit. Gmod is single core only so even if only 28% cpu is used most likely 100% of a core is. Any suggestions to lower tickrate would start affecting gameplay and making it less enjoyable for your community.

Your best option would probably be to make two 48 player servers. Not even the good coders can easily maintain 48+ players in DarkRP without pounds of lag.

[editline]22nd March 2015[/editline]

Also, what OS are you on?

Got your point. Is the server.cfg faulty tho? Could it be changed?

Post it on here so we can see. Just make sure you don’t let us see your rcon password if it is in there :wink:

net_maxfilesize 64
sv_maxrate 0
sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxupdaterate 66
sv_minupdaterate 10
sv_mincmdrate 10
sv_maxcmdrate 60
heartbeat
tv_enable 0
sv_region 0
sv_max_queries_sec 3
sv_max_queries_sec_global 150
sv_stats 0
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 1
net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000
fps_max 0

Try changing the following:

sv_maxrate 10000 // Doesn’t really make a difference but setting it to 0 doesn’t sound like a good idea
sv_minrate 100000
sv_maxupdaterate 33 // You want this to be the same as your tickrate
sv_minupdaterate 33 // You want this to be the same as your tickrate
sv_mincmdrate 33 // You want this to be the same as your tickrate
sv_maxcmdrate 33 // You want this to be the same as your tickrate
fps_max 120 // You don’t want there to be no limit, just cuz I dont know why but you dont put it to 0

These shouldn’t really make your server run much better tbh since they are really small changes.

Edit: Also make sure you disabled the gas smoke effects on M9K

15 or 22? Why do people believe NFO know what they are doing when it comes to tickrate? They don’t.

You want to go with this standard for tickrates (16, 33, 66, 100) as valve suggest.

Oh bullshit. You can run 100+ players no problem if you know what you’re doing and of course actually cleanup that cancerous gamemode.

Yeah, too bad all coders know how to do is add jobs and 1 minute sweps.

[editline]26th March 2015[/editline]

Oh please, it’s darkrp.