Deathmatch map for S&Box(dm_lab) - Update 1.25

Hello,

since Deathmatch is one of the first gamemodes that will be available in S&Box I decided to contribute with my own map. Currently I have only finished a rough layout of the map without any cover or other elements(perhaps triggerable traps?). I will most likely be doing some changes to scales and positions of some parts of the map, but still I ask you for your first impressions of the layout. What do you like and what would you suggest?

Video walkthrough of the map: Sandbox DeathMatch map layout - YouTube

Thanks and have a nice day!

2 Likes

Alright, a quick update.

I’ve settled on this futuristic yet “rusty” design for the map. This is a first time texturing it, the lighting is just a “placeholder”. I will slowly publish new updates as I go. Feedback is again appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good with a little polish needed in the art department, keep it up ! :slightly_smiling_face:

Update 1.4

(aka I really don’t know what I’m doing with the naming scheme)

Hello,
the deathmatch map project is moving along fairly well and here is an early result of what I made so far. As I aim at providing updates daily, you can still see it’s not fully finished. There were some vis issues, misplaced texture, wrong color of the forcefields(I know how to fix it) and of course the general look of the map isn’t final either. I will toy around with each of these in the next days so please, consider the fact this is still quite early in development. Apart from that you can comment about the general direction the map’s headed. I especially like the way some hallways are lit and I will try to make it so the rest of the map has a similar feel to that. Thanks and as always, feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

New Video Walkthrough through the current state of the map:

2 Likes

Hello,
I presend yet another update to my Deathmatch map. I haven’t had much time in the last two days, so there aren’t that many changes. Please excuse the light flickering that is caused by not doing a full compile(because it would take too long).

Main thing you can notice are the newly added traps and hazards around the map. There are currently 4 - the circle-shaper room will now release dangerous beam of energy every 15 seconds damaging reckless players or perhaps it can be used to lure your enemies there in order to finish them.

The second trap is in the upper tunnel that leads from the main room - by shooting a button above the doorway you activate a defence mechanism(a turret). While this can be useful to defend your position, a quick player can shoot a small button next to the turret in order to turn it around at the player who initially activated it.

The next trap is quite hard to activate, but for a good reason, because it results in instakill of player hiding in the corner next to the light bridge. To activate this you need to fire at 3 different red “columns”(their orientation may be to one side or another) that change every 4 or so seconds.

The last “hazard” is the lower tunnel that leads from the main room where you can activate forcefields that temporarily block other players from travelling through there.

Apart from the traps I made some smaller changes to all sorts of parts of the map(changes to lighting, fixed bugs, changed design of the small house,…).

Latest video walkthrough of the map:

Hey, here’s the promised Full Compile so the map actually doesn’t look completely terrible:

1 Like

Hello,
Your map is very cool :slight_smile: What do you use to map ?

• LarsenWood
1 Like

I love the style of the map, I can’t wait to see its development!

1 Like

Hello,
I’m using the mapping tools from Half Life Alyx.

Hello,

welcome to another S&Box deathmatch map update. Keep in mind this is still “only” Full Compile. Not much has changed since last time, apart from polishing and fixing some things. I will probably stop working on this map until I get to test it in S&Box and I’ll work on other projects for S&Box. There are few issues(namely the lighting bugs, which will be fixed), but they can be fixed very quickly so it won’t be a problem to do it a bit later. Thanks for your feedback and support throughout making this map.

Video showcase of the map’s current state:

Hi,

So I thought I might share some static pictures for people who dislike moving ones. This still isn’t Final Compile, even though the difference probably won’t be drastic. Either way, enjoy! I’ll probably post the Final Compile version in few hours(once it compiles :slight_smile: ). Feedback is always appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If somebody wanted to try the map out, I uploaded it to the HL:Alyx workshop. I’ve quickly thrown some enemies to the map to make it a bit more interesting. It’s still not Final Compile, but I’ll update it soon enough(Source 2 compile times :slight_smile: ). Enjoy and feedback is always appreciated. :slight_smile:

Looks like Halo-futuristic. I like the smooth curves you have on the walls.

1 Like

Thanks ripSquid.

I have a little announcement for people that wanted to try the map in Alyx. Previously the map didn’t show up in the list unless you loaded it from the console, which is now fixed, so feel free to check the map normally. I got far too many messages about this :confused: