Demon's Souls - Tower Knight

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q8n8xwr487zutac/Tower%20Knight000000.png?dl=0

Download for Source Filmmaker:

Download for Garry’s Mod:

Dropbox:
Source Filmmaker Version
Link for IK Rig
Place the IK rig in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\platform\scripts\sfm\animset

Garry’s Mod Version

NikouT

BlueFlytrap

First Demon’s Souls model to be ported into the Source, lo and behold – The Tower Knight! Includes his shield and lance used in battle.

Animations are absent in this model, however it does include a fair amount of bones.

Includes:

• models/demonssouls/characters/Tower_Knight/towerknight.mdl
  • models/demonssouls/characters/Tower_Knight/towerknight_lance.mdl
  • models/demonssouls/characters/Tower_Knight/towerknight_shield.mdl

Images in the preview were provided by BlueFlytrap, NikouT, and mysel.f

Credits:
Pennywise the Clown (Kuro) - Providing Tower Knight model and necessary scripts
BlueFlytrap - Shaders, promo
Sundownsyndrome - Porting into Source, promo, touching up smoothing groups
hotfuzznarp - Providing IK Rig for Tower Knight
Champion Plague Nexus - Getting the model into Garry’s Mod
NikouT - Promo gif

By no means do I own these models.
Demon’s Souls, Tower Knight rights and designs are owned by From Software and Namco Bandai.

Characters in the images are not mine. Rights belong to From Software, Platinum Games, and Sega.

If there are any issues with the Tower Knight model, please leave me a message on either my profile or this workshop submission detailing what the issue is.

KNOWN ISSUES:

• Bones may be placed in the “Unknown” section – reported by NikouT. A hotfix for this is to go to this link: http://pastebin.com/AcnHs7pc and paste what you see there onto your sfm_defaultanimationgroups.txt that’s in Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\platfo rm\cfg.

Update 1.0
-Release of Tower Knight.

Update 1.1
-Release of Tower Knight to GMod Workshop

If you have an image you made, by all means post on this thread and I’ll post it here in the OP!

shaders are sex

Badass design for a knight, in my opinion.

My pants couldn’t possibly get any tighter. :v:

good shit man

Fantastic.

Woo, that is truly awesome!

didn’t even make a collision model and hence physmodel scrub.

[editline]5th September 2014[/editline]

why are all sfm content makers so lazy

except for a couple people like fat-corgi-guy and his payday swats

A bit off-topic, but I’m testing a model for a friend, and it had some bones listed as unknown. What is the problem with unknown bones? Do they not move right or just becomes and unorganized mess?

NikouT reported this to me, too, I honestly don’t know what causes it.

oh, GMod version’s coming out. just read the OP and you’ll see who’s doing it. I just don’t do it because A, I have no idea how to do it and B, GMod is sort of outdated at this point and time.

I’d wager there’s no physics model because SFM doesn’t need physics models? Sure there’s the SFMPhys script out there, but most of the time you aren’t going to be using physics models in SFM if you’re just animating things. Garry’s Mod models of course need it, but since SFM models can also have higher bone counts sometimes physics aren’t even viable. Basically it just wastes time for the SFM content creators to slap on a physics model which barely anyone would use. Calling them lazy for that is a bit rude, don’t you think? Especially considering how much work alone it goes into getting it working in SFM in the first place, and those textures don’t just make themselves look good.

On the topic of the model at hand though, as always fantastic job! It’s good to see some Demon’s Souls stuff making its way in now too.

Usually the problem is bones’ names are not matching in the file sfm_defaultanimationgroups.txt located in “SourceFilmmaker\game\platform\cfg” and that’s why it results like that.

that seems to be the error. click here and paste what you see there onto your sfm_defaultanimationgroups.txt that’s in Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\platform\cfg. After that, it should be fixed.

Excelent

Except with this particular model and this particular release it is not too high-poly nor would it have more bones than a GMOD addon could handle, for this particular release there is no excuse to not create your own working gmod version other than lack of knowledge and or leading to lazyness.

And I’ve been in this modelling community for quite some time, from what I’ve observed and my personal experiance in porting 99 percent of the time the reason why someone does a SFM only release is purely because they can’t be bothered putting in the extra effort to get it also working in GMOD and most of the time it’s unwillingness to work with older compile tools or just to simply get a collision model working what I will assure you is not that hard.

Also the shaders could use some work he looks a bit too greasy.

I don’t see the point in getting an entirely different user to do something for you that is as easy as making a collision model.

Also my statement “sfm content makers are lazy” is due to the fact that most gmod content creators eg. Ninja Nub or bloocobalt put in the extra effort to make it work in both gmod and sfm where-as most pure SFM content creators don’t put in the extra effort to get it working in GMOD.

Also GMOD being technologically outdated or not it still has a large user-base on facepunch and in this sub-forum especially.

Newb thing here, but that’s a lot to paste into that .txt, unless you want us to replace the old ones in there?

just replace the text in the txt file with what’s in that pastebin.

As we’re talking, these tools we’re using to get Demon’s Souls models into Source are in beta and is not complete. I will recognize that maybe it’s easy to create a collision model, but for god’s sake, you’re honestly expecting quality barely a day after we’ve just gotten the tools required to import the models and textures? For God’s sake, some textures and bones are not exactly working and are broken, like the Penetrator’s sword’s specular map and some of the Maiden in Black’s textures. They’re broken and the tool still needs work, the author is still working on it. Really, I can understand you know nothing about the tool, but realize that maybe some of these aren’t going to be the best?

I will say this, I know it’s not too terribly high poly or high in bone count, you think I didn’t realize it? But the thing is I don’t know how to work with collision meshes an iota, and there’s a lot of other stuff that I have no idea with how Garry’s Mod works out and all that shit. Even if it is somewhat of a poor excuse, I honestly can’t see what the issue is. Would you rather a trusted, more well known user like Nexus who knows how to get stuff into Garry’s Mod in a working condition, or a person who is just started to learn how to get stuff into Garry’s Mod to get this model into that game? Choose your poison, but personally I pick the former. It’s more or less putting my trust into somebody that I know can do something and can do it right. It’s not that I’m unwilling, I just don’t have a clue how to do it.

And the shaders are meant to be glossy like that, if you look at the Tower Knight in ingame screenshots, that’s not too far off – sans the helmet’s faceplate. The faceplate was just something that refused to not be greasy. But back on track, the shading is practically a lot closer than you’d think. Unless you can do better, and by all means try to do so, I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here. I’m not going to just change it on a whim because that means I risk destroying the rest of the model’s phong just for bits and bobs of it.

SFM content makers may be lazy, but that doesn’t excuse that most of the time we go through the EXACT same process you people go through, there’s very little differences aside you have to be mindful of bone count, mipmaps, level of detail, and you also just take an extra step by creating a collision mesh + phys. You make it sound very, very easy, so where’s the “hard work” when it comes to that? If I took the initiative and started learning how to get things into GMod, I could probably get a good grasp of it because the constraints, inertia, and all the other good stuff don’t look very complex. Again, some people may be lazy, but more often than not it’s because we don’t see a point in getting it over into Garry’s Mod. It’s already usable in Source due to it’s bone count; why not just contact the person who ported the model and ask if you can make the model compatible for Garry’s Mod if you want it so badly? Some of us may take initiative, again, but still, we often don’t see the use of GMod as it’s a sandbox, and sandboxes often don’t see use in filmmaking unless you’re somebody like DasBoSchitt or DrFace.

Look, I’m going to take a shot at the dark and say you’re just lunging at me because of that one rant against your friend on that Resistance Hybrid model – I get it, you didn’t like it. I was in a really pissed off mood that day and I do apologize, just tone it down. If you’re going to also give criticism, at least detail the critique you’ve got and maybe provide some ideas for improvement. Otherwise, how am I gonna improve if you just spout out “i don’t like thing” and not even give a suggestion?

That’s funny; I recall bitching to Ageha myself over the mirror knight having a low enough bonecount for a garrysmod release. Garrysmod version of that is on the way too.
We have the physbones done for it. Now it’s just a matter of throwing everything together.

Tell that to Fromsoft. I’m just here to mimic what their artist intended.

What?

looks like someone doesn’t want critique…

Also just cos fromsoft did shit shaders doesn’t mean you should too.

it’s not that I don’t want critique, you’re not giving good critique is the thing. I can take it just fine, BlueFly gives it to me all the time.