Destruction gamemode idea

I’ve got an idea for a gamemode which i can implement if/when i get access to s&box.

the gamemode has simple rules,

• each player gets the same weapons, weapons are either set by the owner or can be voted for
  • most of the map has destructible objects, including bigger objects being replaced by destructible versions, like houses
  • players can use their weapons to kill other players, but will not gain any points for this
  • destroying objects gives points, the bigger and stronger the object, the more points.
  • when most of the map is destroyed, determine a winner for this round.

it seems pretty simple but i’m sure it can be really fun as we have physics which are better than source 1, and this seems like a mode people would just go at just to see the satisfaction of breaking crates with their weapons. and possibly launching a rocket at a house and blowing it up and some props inside as well.

2 Likes

So it’s like Flood but without the water? And without the ability to build a boat/base? And without the incentive to kill other players?
Does only destroying the objects give points? If that’s so then you could just wait and destroy whatever other people were attacking.

1 Like

players do not build anything, it’s all about the destruction of the map, of course not the basic destruction but something better, if killing players gave points, people would be doing that instead of destroying things, and that is not the goal here, it’s about destruction, possibly procedural, i don’t know how advanced the api is at the moment though. so i might need to use a hacky approach for that. the goal is to find ways to quickly take out large amounts of objects, not to kill other players. although you could kill someone to temporarlily prevent them from destroying anything, sort of as a cooldown. main purpose of the gamemode is just to have satisfying physics interactions show, like destroying the foundation of a house and it falling down. would need to optimise it a lot, but it could be pretty fun. it’s not about being competitive, while you could do that, it’s about having fun. i don’t want it to become a deathmatch gamemode, i could take away some points when someone dies, but not grant any. that would make people focus on the person in first place and get their score down so they can take the lead.

it would be pretty cool to see the old gmod phys_ maps in source 2

2 Likes

Why is your reply to a comment longer than the entire gamemode showcase?

That tells to me that you didn’t really think it through when first making this post, you should flesh it out a bit more, and add some images like concept art, previous projects or images to get the picture across.

3 Likes

yeah i kinda do that with everything that is just an idea, that’s also why i usually create functioning prototypes of… wait i’ll make a prototype in unity and show it off some time

1 Like

well someone completely missed the point of the gamemode and so they explained it to them

1 Like

My comment was supposed to point out how OP was more willing to explain someone the gamemode than having a good gamemode showcase that would speak for itself in the first place, not asking why he’d write a long comment.

I mean, this post is in the “S&Box” and “Coding” sections, and it contains neither, do we even know if OP is capable of doing any of this or is he just sharing an idea in the hope that someone else will do it for him?

1 Like

yeah i could have linked my other post to show that i am able to actually code working things. thanks for the input

Sounds cool. I remember CSS maps where you would need to destroy a lot of glas boxes to reach the enemy team. Seeing something like this in Source 2 would be amazing!

1 Like

I think the concept is cool but honestly I’m not sure if Source 2 is up to the level of destruction you are talking about, have you thought about a spin on this idea where you base it off the Katamari games? Then you can have an element of destruction and maybe even integrate some weapons or something into it. It would also mean you could make some pretty cool challenges, first to collect x amount of objects, or first to collect x but avoid y.

1 Like

i’m sure source 2 is capable, it’s all about how it’s implemented, for example i could make the map, cut out a big part of the map and remake these parts as individual breakable props, as far as i know the physics in source 2 are gpu based instead of cpu like source 1, making it possibly perform better than it did in source 1

I mean worse case scenario is you scale back the fidelity of the destruction but either way good luck in making it, sounds like a cool project if you put it together.

1 Like