Detecting Circular Movement

How would you detect if something, say your mouse, is moving in a circle within a particular region? How could you make it to varying degrees of accuracy?

I’d say this wasn’t really a Newbie question … :open_mouth:

Firstly you can use http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Gui.ScreenToVector to get the position that the mouse is. You’d could probably figure it out by storing the most recent points within perhaps 1/4 of a second intervals and then calculate their positions relative to each other to see if it had made a circle.

Though maths was never my strong point so I can’t help you much there. Just really hate maths. / Fist shake.

I’m sure someone else who is more awake will post with better advice soon though.

You could store the position of the entity/mouse over a time and then compare the angles between the positions. If all of the angles fall within a certain margin from their preceding ones, they are advancing in a circular path.

My question is, why do you need this 0_0

Volume control for his music player. To style like an iPod. That’s my guess :wink:

Yeah, that would work. Just gotta do the math now. Thanks Nev.

QUIET YOU!!

Volume control doesn’t work too well in Gmod, I’ve played with it and the sound difference is minimal.

Uh, I said that before lol.

Guess I just worded it wrong. Had been awake over a day at the time. x3