Disabling the killfeed for everyone.

I know I post here for support a lot, but I always get answers, today, i’d like to disable the killfeed for everyone, because I find it ruins RP.

I’m talking about this thing -

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/9056/killfeedgmod.png

I know about the hud_deathnotice_time 0 command, but that seems to only work for the client who entered it into their dev console, i’ve also tried adding it into my server.cfg in the form of hud_deathnotice_time 0 and also hud_deathnotice_time “0” to no avail. Is there any way at all I can do this?

You gotta edit sandbox/gamemode/cl_deathnotice.lua

I don’t have that file :confused:

I’ve checked cl_notice.lua but it’s not it.

Oh, it probably is in base gamemode, not sandbox. Are you running custom gamemode by chance?

No i’m not, but i’ve found the file in the base folder, do I just fully delete it or edit parts of it?

Just to be safe you could probably just comment out the entire file, and if it gives you problems you can uncomment it later.

Put /* at the top of the file

And */ at the bottom

I did that, got some script errors, fixed them and it’s all good now, thanks for the help you guys :slight_smile:

Just FYI a more portable way would be using the HUDShouldDrawhook.

[lua]hook.Add(“HUDShouldDraw”, “Dont Show Kill Feed”, function(hudelement)
if hudelement==‘CHudDeathNotice’ then return false end
end[/lua]

That won’t work because you forgot to add ) in there and GMod draws the deathnotice through Lua, it’s not on panel or anything.

Yep I missed the ) but what do you mean it won’t work because “it’s not on panel or anything.” ?

[editline]30th January 2014[/editline]

Mk I’ve looked through cl_init.lua and cl_deathnotice.lua and yeah, it doesn’t call HUDShouldDraw at all which seems really strange as CHudDeathNotice is listed on the wiki info for HUDShouldDraw. I guess that’s a mistake and should be removed from the wiki?

It lists all base elements you can disable, this is not the only one that’s not working, yet still the hook is called for it.