DodgeBalls

Hey Guys, I here have a grand spankin’ new gamemode! This gamemode was created for a little 16 hour challenge that I decided to do by myself to see how much I could do in a certain amount of time. This is the outcome. Don’t worry though, I’ll still be working on the project after today so I’ll provide 2 downloads, One for the original challenge one and the other for the updated one. I really hope you enjoy this gamemode as I had a great 16 hours making it. There is plenty of stuff that I didn’t get time to put in, but they will probably be included in the later updates.

NOTE: This gamemode was based off the old Heavy Balls gamemode.

Modding

While creating the gamemode, I created a bunch of hooks so you can write stuff with them. Those hooks include:

“db_preRound” = Just when the round starts
“db_postRound” = When the round finishes. NOTE: Use this hook with a counter for a Map Vote system, as the gamemode does not already have one.
“db_loadedserverside” = When all the server side core files are loaded
“db_loadedclientside” = When all the client side core files are loaded

If you created a specific mod for the gamemode, put all the files in a a folder and place it in the dodgeball/gamemode/core/ directory. Make sure all the files inside have sv_, cl_ or sh_ prefixes.

Configuration

There is a user-friendly config located in dodgeballs/gamemode/config.lua. Just edit what you need to in there. Since everything should be in there, there is no need to edit anything else in the gamemode. if you feel as if there should be a specific configuration variable, tell me either on steam or here.

Setup

Just drag and drop the gamemode into the servers gamemodes/ folder, then add the gamemode to the startup command line. If you wish, you can then edit the config.lua located in dodgeballs/gamemode/config.lua. I tried to use nothing but Half-Life 2 assets and sounds, so you don’t need to mount tf2/css on your server.

The gamemode should work with every map you can think of if you set the LaunchPads and PowerUp boxes in their appropriate positions.

Videos

Dodgeballs Original gamemode footage.

Download

As stated at the start there will be 2 downloads, Original and Updated. The Original download is the one created for my challenge if you wish to see how far I got. The Updated version is the version with any bugs fixed, new things added and much faster methods.

ORIGINAL - Not recommended for actual servers

https://garrysmods.org/download/46554/button.png - Recommended for actual servers

For Nerds: [sp] https://github.com/exploderguy/dodgeballs [/sp]

Want to know the difference between the original and the updated? Well the updated has;

**- Ammo

• Ammo Pickups
  • TeamSelect Rotation Cam Position in config!
  • Fixed sounds
  • Fixed powerup boxes not using its “effect”
  • Fixed powerup box respawns
  • Added some more default powerups (remember, you can still add you own)
  • Fixed my dumb mistake of using +jump instead of SetVelocity on jumppads. Seriously, what was I thinking?
  • Small improvements to entities**

Planned Features

• Dumb Events (Unlimited Ammo)
  • An actual official server
  • Much more!

Fin

Thank you for taking time out of your life to read this thread, and I hope you enjoy this gamemode.

Just saying the 2 downloads are exactly the same.

Not bad? I’d like to see where you go with this, and hoping you plan to make this more than just some fretta-like gamemode.

I’ll keep an eye out for your update and give you some feedback around then.

Not sure why you got rated dumb… They both link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqerohcj4c4z4rz/dodgeballs_original.zip?dl=1

I think it’s cause OP stated in his post ( or edited after? ) that they are the same, but he’ll be updating the actual link when he’s ready to release it.

It was there from the start.

Anyways, I will be fixing things up today for an Updated version. Since I don’t have a time limit, things will probably be much cleaner.

Yea sorry I am blind didn’t even read that. Good work on the gamemode.

Update version is out!. It is actually stable now and will be frequently updated. The stuff in the new update include:

• Ammo
  • Ammo Pickups
  • TeamSelect Rotation Cam Position in config!
  • Fixed sounds
  • Fixed powerup boxes not using its “effect”
  • Fixed powerup box respawns
  • Added some more default powerups (remember, you can still add you own)
  • Fixed my dumb mistake of using +jump instead of SetVelocity on jumppads. Seriously, what was I thinking?
  • Small improvements to entities

You can now successfully put this gamemode on your server!

So this requires HL2? Does it support use of other map vote systems? Also some sort of scoreboard would be cool. Maybe for power ups use the gmod present model?

All the hl2 assessts and sounds are already shipped with garrysmod, so the gamemode doesnt require to mount anything. Also, the gamemode doesnt come packaged with a VoteMap system but you can easily find one off google/facepunch and hook to it to the db_postRound hook.

I didnt even know there was a present model!? I thought it was for tf2? If so ill add it to the next update. As for a scoreboard, ill probably will look into that or if someone wants make one that’d be cool aswell!

I have a votemap system was just wondering if it was easy to hook, thanks!

And yea there is a red present from gmod (I believe its the red one)

What’s the name of the map in the video?
Edit: Nvm found it

In the OP you suggest “events”. Can I suggest maybe that if score against every player on the opposing team you get the event “Balls have dropped” or something, and have confetti?

The music makes me want to suicide…
Other then that, good job on the gamemode! Looks fun.

What music? The map in the video? If so that’s part of the map. I edited the config so it should work with any dm_runoff version automatically, and that doesnt have any music with it.

The one that was in the video lmao.
Are there any servers hosting this?
It kinda reminds me of heavy balls (the old coderhire gamemode).

I was planning to get my VPS up and running again to see how it handles. I’ll probably get that set up by next week. (The server will be Australian though…)

Also, this gamemode was based off heavy balls to be a free and current alternative.

Could you github it?

I feel like it’s Heavy Balls inspired, which is nice since heavy balls is lost to the cosmos.

I just updated the gamemode to fix a LOT of things, it should be more server-playable now. (I also added more positions for more maps)

Also Judd, I couldn’t find the present model. If you could link me to it that’d be great!

GitHub will come soon, probably in the next hour.