Downtown_V2 town centre remake using Source 2

Hi everyone!

Like most of you guys, I grew up with Garry’s Mod and it holds a special place in my heart. There was a time where I really enjoyed Roleplay gamemodes. Back in the days, I played a lot on the classic downtown_v2 created by The Pro in the late 2000s, and I quickly got really attached to this map.

I thought I could give it a try and recreate it in Source 2, with the tools provided with Half-Life Alyx and see what it could look like in a more modern version of it, without denaturating its original charm.
Just to be clear: it is my first map on Source 2, and I am still learning. There are a lot of things that could be better in this render, and I am aware of most of them. It is an experimentation, I am not planning to work furthermore on this map nor release it anytime soon. I might change my mind, someday, as my goal is to create more maps on Source 2, especially when S&box is released.

Your feedback is welcome, as there is probably a lot that I could learn from you guys.

Here are the screenshots, so you can compare the two versions :

100 Likes

The windows need to be breakable, how am I supposed to jump out of them?
Everything looks great (Especially the insides) but I think the sunlight is way too bright.

11 Likes

It looks beautiful

I just feel like I have a little bit of PTSD seeing this map that I can’t overcome

5 Likes

Simply incredible. Congratulations.

3 Likes

well done, I like it a lot just a small point that bothers me is the sunlight that I find too bright

5 Likes

Great job :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Beautiful!
People complain about the light, I think you did a great work actually. It’s not the same color of lighting but I prefer your version: it’s warmer and more welcoming.

4 Likes

Looks great but the atmosphere feels watered down. not as bright as the OG, good work though, maybe work on adding lightswitches to all the rooms too?

2 Likes

I’m coming back looking at these pictures thinking how cool the underground / subway is gonna look

4 Likes

Looking pretty rad!

3 Likes

Looking awesome, but imo needs some more detailing on the building brickwork to make things look less patterny/repetitive. Also, maybe the brick texture is a bit too large scale-wise? makes things look a bit blurry.

4 Likes

This looks great so far! That plaza really is the highlight.

4 Likes

Remember to add the ghost of downtown, so you can scar a new generation.

7 Likes

Looooks pretty good to me, great job!

3 Likes

Thanks guys for all your feedback. I will ajust all of that in the future. I’ll definitely continue to learn more on how to make good stuff on Source 2

4 Likes

Wow! Keep up the great work man

3 Likes

Looks super good! Feels like I’m about to get mugged just by looking at the pictures.

3 Likes

This gives me faith that the same style of maps are going to look much better.
But this makes me wonder.

How does the performance compare?
I know it’s not the same, given that GMod has Lua running no matter what, but does the higher fidelity come at an obvious cost or does it seem as efficient as it is prettier?

We can expect way more detailed maps either way, which is exciting.

5 Likes

you can’t really test it’s performance in s&box without well, s&box

3 Likes

Great work!

2 Likes