Today when I was working on a map im creating I compiled after finishing a room with a gunrange in it and it compiled fine with no errors but as it got onto the initial loading page the game crashed with the error thats in the title.
So I googled it and it said it had something to do with to many entities.
So first I tried compiling again with the parameter -num_edicts 4096 but it didnt work.
I then tried using a custom VBSP compiler which increases among other things entity limits and when I compiled and it loaded up it crashed just like it orginally did but with no message stating why.
I then tried compiling with no props showing and it worked. So after that I tried compiling with props besides the ones I had placed during building the gunrange room and it worked, so at that point I assumed it had to be one of the props in the room. So I then quickhid half of the props in the room and compiled, it didnt work. So I then unquickhid em and then quickhid the other half and compiled it didnt work. So im left at the conclusion that I have hit some actual limit in the source engine. But since that would mean this map would be pointless continuing im here to ask if theres some way to fix this whole issue if I am wrong with the cause of it or a way to increase whatever limit im hitting (if I am hitting one that is).
Thankyou in advance for any help.
EDIT: I tried quickhiding all the props in the room again and then heading to another spot on the map and spawned 19 random props to see if it would crash with the same issue. It loaded up fine but when I checked the group of random props the compiler had like deleted some of them with only 14 being there instead of 19. Dunno if this is helpful but I felt it needed to be here.
There is a in-game limit of how many dynamic entities you can have at once, including props. This limit is huge, however and it is very unlikely that you hit it. Post your compile log and the amount of props you have in your map
(User was banned for this post ("Backseat moderation" - Kiwi))
This is the only problem I see but it’s a big one. Basically, this might happen if you are defining entities in your map without using their FGD file. an FGD file tells hammer the varibles and their default values for entities. If this isn’t included, hammer doesn’t know what information to omit from the file (as it doesn’t know what the default value for something is) and so it includes it all, making for a lot of entity data.
Actually the entdata is irrevelant: you can even get away with 220% if you use addoutputs and templates.
The thing you have to consider is that aside of all the content of your map, you have to count with the players, their weapons, and their stuff as it counts to the limit ( and since it is dynamic, you will have to forsee how many players will play your map ).
Do your best to use only prop_static except when really needed ( if you are desperate, recompile the model so you can use it, if only Valve added a prop_static_override ), and use a combination of templates, entity makers and the magical addoutput output:
This trick saved my ass and allowed me to add a lot of stuff that without it would go over the limits.