Ep2 in 'common' folder; not saving settings, Source SDK not reading right filepath, Hammer not loading among other problems

I’ve been out for a year, moved out of home and such so I’ve been away from the level design threads and steam in general overall.

I recently got a new laptop that’s strong enough for Source and all it’s mods, so I thought it would be perfect for level design.
Operating system is Windows 8, graphics run by AMD, specs are pretty great overall.

It started with Half Life 2: Episode 2
After downloading it, running it and saving my settings, I load up Source SDK. It tells me that it can’t find the configuration “gameinfo.txt” in username/half-life 2 episode two/ep2/ because the path doesn’t exist, so I checked the file paths and nothing is in steamapps/username/half-life 2 episode two/ep2/ but rather steamapps/common/ep2/ep2.

Upon editing game configurations and loading EP2 from common, hammer starts just fine until I try to start a new map. When I select New, a popup immediately appears and tells me that it failed to load the default scheme file and “the map views may be missing some visual elements.” After I select OK, hammer greets me with a completely empty and distorted window (like winning in Solitaire on windows 95/XP) and crashes right away.

Resetting game configurations, verifying the integrity of all the caches, reinstalling the games, tools and files all do nothing.

Even when I load up Episode 2 again, it never saves any of my settings and reverts everything including the resolution back to default.

There’s a new file that installed itself; “Source SDK Base 2013 singleplayer” and launching from this configuration does nothing.

What the heck happened? Major update or am I just plain out of luck?

I’ve never had a problem like this and I can’t seem to find anyone else who has.

same thing happened to me when i went back to hammer last week since well over a year and this guy told me to launch hammer.exe straight from the source folder but i´ve yet to get home and try that

Alright, I’ve tried launching from the source folders, but it gives me the “Error 4 Bad Launch Configuration”
Source SDK doesn’t load at all from the source folder either.

You’re launching Hammer.exe from common/half-life 2/ep2/bin?

SDK launcher isn’t used anymore.

It would be pretty nice if someone could make/link a tutorial to how to open hammer on steampipe.

I made one a while ago, hold on.

There was kind of a giant update for all/most of Valve’s games. Shit’s different now.

Found it: http://forum.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1271741

Long story short just launch hammer from the games bin folder, messing around with files to try and get it to launch through the sdk is just going to give you a headache and more problems.

Thanks man

[editline]21st July 2013[/editline]

You too