"ERROR LOADING MODEL" on hlmv.

Hi, so I’ve been experimenting with making models in Maya and exporting them using a tool called Mesa.
I successfully did this once, with a Chinese lantern model I’d made.
Having tried it two more times, when I try to load the models into hlmv I get “error loading model”.
I don’t think I have ‘bad topology’, but can someone explain to me how I could tell?

A difference I’ve noticed between these two models, and the model that worked:
upon compiling the qc, a 3DS Max Physique file is not generated for the ones that haven’t worked.

Update: I fixed it.
Basically, I’m using Mesa, a tool to export smd’s in Maya.
You need to make sure that whatever .tga materials you apply to that model are in your mesa project folder in a subfolder called ‘materialsrc’.

I know it’s weird that hlmv wouldn’t load a model because of this but, it works.

Bump.

Which modelviewer are you using? Are you using load model or (steam) load model?

I’m using the source filmmaker HLMV.
I just click on like File > Load Model.

Try using (steam) load model. It starts from your default selected game directory (usually SFM’s current loaded mod).

On another note, this “3ds max physique” file (.phy) is actually just a physics model. It’s not really required for your model to work, it just means that your model either has a collision mesh or doesn’t. Models such as effects or viewmodels that don’t have physics models don’t have a .phy file.

I’d made a physics layer model though, which is weird.
Also what do you mean by (steam) load model?

In HLMV there is an option to load with the legacy model browser from pre-Steampipe.

Update: I fixed it.
Basically, I’m using Mesa, a tool to export smd’s in Maya.
You need to make sure that whatever .tga materials you apply to that model are in your mesa project folder in a subfolder called ‘materialsrc’.

I know it’s weird that hlmv wouldn’t load a model because of this but, it works.