Error when launching Rust from Steam

I constantly receive this error report when launching Rust from Steam. The “kicker”, however, is that once I close this report dialog in any manner, I am no longer able to launch any Windows applications until a restart is performed. Any ideas on how to fix this error? Has anyone seen this before?

GameID: 12
Windows Version: 6.2 (Build 9200)
64Bit System: Yes
64Bit Client: No
ErrorCode: 10
ErrorMsg: Failed to initialize the game process. Error Code 10
LastError: 5

Thanks in advance

Could you put in your PC Specs to make sure you can run the game?

I’ve never seen anyone report that particular weirdness (not being able to launch applications) before.

Please post your specs: CPU, RAM, video card.

Also, what version is your graphics driver? I’m looking for the major number, so if it’s Nvidia it’s xxx.xx, AMD/ATI it’s xx.xx.

Also, I’d like you to run the System File Checker, a built-in Windows utility that checks the integrity of system files and replaces any corruption it finds. To do this, open a command prompt as administrator, and then type this command:

sfc /scannow

Is there any reason you’re not using Windows 8.1? I’m not specifically suggesting that upgrading to 8.1 will fix the issue, but you’re actually running an out-of-date version of Windows. It’s a free update. However, put that aside for now.

Put it better than I did. Another thing that you could do is update your video drivers.

One point about Win8/8.1: Windows 8.0 is not “out of date” in terms of support. You’ll still get Windows Updates for 8 for the forseeable future, so you don’t have to update.

Windows 8.1, on the other hand, is actually about to leave support, but that’s because Microsoft is now supporting Windows 8.1 Update 1, which is basically a service pack to 8.1 with features to bring back it a little closer to the familiarity of Windows 7, among other things.

So, if you do decide to go from 8.0 to 8.1, go all the way to Windows 8.1 Update 1. Confusingly, some of these updates are in the Windows store, some of them are in Windows Update, and the WUpdate ones won’t even show until you’ve done all the prerequisite updates and rebooted. So the update process will be several batches of downloading and rebooting, but that’s normal for Windows. :v:

This has nothing to do with Rust, but I realized I was leaving mildly-dangerous advice by not covering these extra details about updating Windows 8. Thanks for making it simple and smooth, Microsoft.

Hey Guys thanks for responding!

I have a custom build desktop with the following specs running Windows 8.1 Pro:

**Processor: ** AMDFX8350 (8 cores @ 4.0 GHz)
**RAM: ** 32GB GSKILL CAS Latency 9
**Motherboard: ** Asrock 990FX Professional
**Sound Card: ** Creative Sound Blaster X
**Graphics Card: ** AMD MSI 7970R Lightning Edition

These specs are more than capable of playing most (if not all) of the PC games currently on the market today. I will try updating my graphics drivers (again) and see if that helps. If you guys think of anything else that might help, I would appreciate any input you can provide! :smiley:

Weird, wonder why it said 6.2.9200 when 8.1 is supposed to be 6.3.9200. Oh well, ignore all that OS shit then. :v:

Yeah, your specs look fine, so we can cross that one out in general.

Can you please confirm what major version your Catalyst drivers are, please? And, have you run the System File Checker, and if so, what happened?

I’m also having this issue since last week. After I changed to the “experimental branch” I was able to access it normally. But some time last week, after some update, I get this error 10 message, and everything on my computer crashes, google chrome and everything. I have to restart the system to be able to use it again. This only happens with Rust on experiamental branch, everything else is working fine.

Anyone having the same issue?

I’ve been having the same issue for at least 2 weeks. When I switch to experimental branch and run game I get that same error and I can’t open any other applications. Need to re-boot.

I have a fairly new custom game rig with all up to date drivers. I’m on windows 7.

Could this have anything to do with it:

Hi,

Which anti-virus are you using?

If you’d have time, could you add me in Steam and we can take a look at it over TeamViewer: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999579793/

No one got a solution for this? I have the Same problem for 3 weeks now!

Hi CajunX,

We are currently experiencing a known incompatibility issue with BitDefender anti-virus. Would you have it by any chance as well?

Im currently getting the same thing. i use AVG antivirus, i just redownloaded rust to try experimental and first time i loaded it up avg warned me it was a virus and i had to add it to my exceptions. temporarily disabled avg for 15 minutes but still get the error when launching experimential via steam.

GameID: 12
Windows Version: 6.1 (Build 7601)
ErrorCode: 7
ErrorMsg: Failed to initialize the game process. Error Code 7
ServiceVersion: 1

Processes list:
[System Process]
smss.exe
csrss.exe
wininit.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
lsm.exe
svchost.exe
nvvsvc.exe
nvSCPAPISvr.exe
nvxdsync.exe
spoolsv.exe
armsvc.exe
Fuel.Service.exe
AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
avgwdsvc.exe
NvNetworkService.exe
taskhost.exe
dwm.exe
nvstreamsvc.exe
explorer.exe
PnkBstrA.exe
TeamViewer_Service.exe
taskeng.exe
SlimDrivers.exe
itype.exe
ipoint.exe
ToolbarUpdater.exe
WifiSvc.exe
RAVCpl64.exe
nvtray.exe
NvBackend.exe
puush.exe
loggingserver.exe
conhost.exe
WNA1100.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
jusched.exe
avgui.exe
vprot.exe
SearchIndexer.exe
iPodService.exe
WUDFHost.exe
ctfmon.exe
jucheck.exe
chrome.exe
audiodg.exe
Origin.exe
wmpnetwk.exe
Steam.exe
WmiPrvSE.exe
Rust.exe
EasyAntiCheat.exe
RustClient.exe
GameOverlayUI.exe
CoherentUI_Host.exe

Windows Crash Dump: C:\Windows\Minidump\040614-50107-01.dmp

lol i might have just found my issue

[editline]22nd June 2014[/editline]

Is there a way to get around the incompatibillity atm?

Same issue, any ideas?