I decided to release the custom chat box I have been working on. It’s not a ground breaking thing, but I think someone might like it or use it for learning.
Let’s get to the point and see what it has got!
The chat box features:
1. Basic functionality:it draws text.
2. Ability to browse the chat history:features a panel that lets you browse the full session chat log.
You are going to say that every chat box has this and it is nothing special. You are right. This is why I added something other chat boxes don’t have.
3. Complete customization:ever wanted an undersized pink eye-hurting and totally unusable chatbox? Even if not, you now can create one.
Just open the controls window, open the chat and use the provided sliders, check boxes and color mixers to turn your lovely chatbox into an abomination. Don’t even need to reopen the chat box to see the changes - it will change instantly. Even the amount of chat lines drawn will reactively change when chat history height or chat history spacing changes.
Jokes away the chat box allows you to customize:
- Whether to draw chat bubbles or not
- Whether to draw borders or not
- Whether to draw time stamps or not
- Color of almost anything in your chat box
- Everything related to position: padding, x and y margin, spacing and more.
- Size of nearly anything
That allows you to make yourself the chatbox of your dreams.
The chat history log and chat box controls are available throught console commands:
In case you fuck up the chatbox beyound recognition I have included a chbox_defaults command to reset it to the pretty neat default setting.
- There is no multiline support for the chat box. That means that a long line won’t break in two.
- The text in the chat box text input is not what is sent into the chat, it’s only a copy of the actual chat input. Changing text in that text entry via cutting/pasting will not change the text sent to the chat.
- Font selection is 90% done, but there are no derma controls for it. You can still set fonts using chbox_toutput_font and chbox_tbar_font (for chat history and text bar),
- After resetting to defaults it requires to open chat controls to apply the size and position settings.
- Unknown bugs and mistakes can arise
These issues are unsolved because I am going away for a long time and I don’t know if I will ever fix them.
You can do pretty much anything with the code. I would really appreciate if you pointed out ways to fix any problems. You can also use the code to learn if you wish, it might be interesting (it’s uncommented thought so good luck with that).
You can download the addon here: