Everyone loves the Artwork - But Transition to Experimental Already...

Hi Rust-gods,

While your thoughts of keeping both versions of rust around in the future and building a game in the background sound acceptable and workable at first…please remind yourselves that in reality…no one is that understanding or patient.

The current version of rust has serious limitations, it was in serious need of a huge injection of items, fixes, and additions a LONG LONG time ago, and while I totally agree with the motivations to clean up the code and rebuild the game in a new better version of Unity from the ground up, you need to keep one thing in mind…your fan base won’t wait forever! (even if they think today that they will)

Your player base is ready, eager to take everything you so teasingly throw at us in your dev updates in some fancy concept art and 3d render snapshots…but I can’t help thinking to myself, why on earth can’t you’s prioritize porting this game with it’s current set of features and tool-sets into the new build…once you get it there, and your fan base is happily playing again in the new version, begin focusing on new build systems, caves, rubber armor suits, spears made of tin cans and all other manner of exciting and creative injections we have been waiting for, frankly for way too long.

Really…

I’ve spoken to server owners, and I have seen the way the server rental options are, some independent players are paying in excess of $150AUD a week to keep their Rust server’s up, they are not likely going to keep both version of the game floating about once experimental goes live, so help everyone out and transition it over as soon as possible.

PLEASE, put more thought into your direction, and transition what you have delivered thus far in the original rust to the new Unity version, before pissing away another couple of years with concept art, and posts suggesting your fan base just “bitch constantly that we’re not updating the game… when in reality we’re updating it every day.”

The problem isn’t that your really doing hard work in the background, it’s that your focus is misplaced on building an end product, when you’ve sold us a promise to be part of the development. Over +2 million people whom bought the game should be proof enough that people don’t mind playing the game WHILE your developing it. It just feels like the original version is now something your using to keep the kids happy while you work in the background on something completely different.

Get back to basics, transition what works till now into experimental…and then build up from there.

Experimental isn’t even close to ready for regular play and you can’t just “import” the old mechanics as they have pretty much rebuilt the game form the ground up.

I think the point that’s being made here, is that there’s time being used making concept art that could go into building the experimental game into something functional and useable

first one of these that i agree with. it would be more effective to prioritise insertion of old elements so people could play while the game is updated. i figure part of the reason they haven’t is because they intend to remake the base mechanics too, which would mean that they double handle everything if they just port over:)

They are doing both simultaneously…

The artists are making the concept art. The coders are writing the code to make the game playable. Two completely different teams doing two completely different tasks. Would you have the artists wait to make their items until after the coding is complete?

Because their concept artist does their programming as well right? lol

okay, valid points, all of you, please vote dumb on my last post haha

If it was that easy, they’d have done it already. If it was that straightforward, they’d have done it already. If it was a good development tactic, they’d have done it already. They’re doing experimental properly, though.

This thread consists of you basically bitching and whining that Rust isn’t finished yet, when you don’t understand how long game development takes. The devs’ main priority at this point is not your short-term entertainment, it’s long-term satisfaction. The way Rust is going to survive and thrive on the long-term, and how it’s going to make you and all of the other players happy, is by releasing a strong finished game.

It’s nowhere near finished right now. You are watching the sausage be made. Don’t complain that the raw meat isn’t nearly as tasty as the finished salami. Experimental is a completely fresh start using the lessons learned from the legacy version of Rust. Development was switched off the legacy build because the legacy build had several flaws that were so difficult to work around, and were holding everything back, that it was easier and faster to scrap everything and make a clean start to get it right. And this isn’t shit-talking the devs, this is kind of how software projects work this early on.

Prioritizing cloning everything in the legacy build over building a proper foundation is a terrible idea; why do you think the legacy build is being left behind? It was developed under different priorities, before Rust sold 1.6+ million copies in six months, and wasn’t intended to be played by a massive playerbase, leading to the many problems it has. Experimental is a restart that better addresses what Rust is now, whereas the legacy build wasn’t expected to be targeted by massive amounts of hackers for another six months yet; they expected to have a lot more time running quietly with a small base of testers.

Then Reddit found out about it and it went viral and the crazy hype train hasn’t stopped since.

to be honest rust was my first Early-Access game, but before i bought it i did a bit of reading, and found that most games are ready for retail in 18-36 months. there have been longer tho here are a few.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
4 years in development (1998-2002)

Team Fortress 2
9 years in development (1998-2007)

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
7 years in development (2003-2010)

Shenmue
6 years in development (1993-1999)

Resident Evil 4
6 years in development (1999-2005)

L.A. Noire
7 years in development (2004-11)

Fallout 3
6 years in development (2002-2008)

Duke Nukem Forever
15 years in development (1996-2011)

i am not really bothered how long they take i want the experience of watching the game develope, It’s good day and it’s inevitable bad days, and a great game at the end done with diligence and care.

and the fact that i have already had my moneys worth with over 600+ hours on legacy is just a bonus.

i could not be happier with the whole experience.

Many of those games also had massive teams behind them with incredible amounts of money backing them up. $30mil might sound like a lot, but games can also be stupid-expensive to build.

So yeah – I’m with you.

Jokes on you , I am that patient and so are many others . Go play something else until the game updates, other alpha games are “rebuilt” 10 times because that’s how quality game development works . They are trying to bring the best quality on the table .

J.K. Rowling rewrote the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone 15 times. And it was rejected by 12 different publishers. I’m sure they’re all feeling reeeeeaaaaaaally bad about that decision these days.

You can’t rush quality, folks. Fast, cheap, and good: Pick only two and be prepared to suffer heavily under the other.

Lol, so basically you think that the concept art is holding up progress on the new build of Rust?

What in the fuck?

There are separate teams for game development, coding, art, sound, animation, etc.

In no way, whatsoever, is the concept art holding up any fucking progress.

In actuality, the concept art is speeding up the process.

Concept art -> In-game art -> Animations -> Coding the items into the game.

That may not be the actual procedure but you get the point. There’s a flow to doing, well, anything.

Without the concept art we’d have no new items in the game therefore we’d have no game. You fucking prick.

“Hey guys! The new coding progress is great but let’s go ahead and skip that and just go straight to putting the new game out already!”

Fucking clown.

Nope. Wrong. All the programmers are drawing the concept art right now. Their keyboards are gathering dust while everyone’s doodling in the break room ordering take-out and raiding the mini-fridge full of daiquiris and ice cream.

There’s a difference between Rust, and every other game that took ten or more years to make… Rust is being developed on a Unity. Unity was made to make the job simpler. They don’t have very much programming to do, half of the game is finished for them. Games like Fallout 3, StarCraft II, and L.A. Noire were built from the ground up.

Hey, news flash. FRACT OSC was built on Unity.

It took four years to make, and the development process saw two whole games’ worth of content scrapped. This is from an interview stream I personally watched live. Of course, FRACT OSC also developed completely new technology to achieve the magic sauce in their synthesizer solution.

Welcome to game development. Just because you’re using an existing engine instead of starting from Hello World, it doesn’t mean you’re taking cookie-cutter solutions. Rust is building off Unity, but it’s not content to be what could be insultingly termed a “Unity game”.

Fallout 3 was made on a modified version of the pre-existing Gamebryo engine and still took 4 years for Bethesda Softworks to complete.

Beyond that, yes Unity has a very user friendly interface, but it has it’s limits, which many devs who use it are pushing past, which is difficult and time consuming. (i.e. The Forest, Rust.) Just because any twatwaffle can go in and make a gun with a piss script and add it into the game nice and easy doesn’t mean that there isn’t a fuckton of debugging to be done when things like procedural terrain generation/heavy custom assets are added.

Not to mention that Gamebryo was used by Bethesda for Morrowind, Oblivion, New Vegas, and technically Skyrim.

Plus, Gamebryo is licensed by Bethesda from Gamebase Co. They don’t even make the engine themselves.

LA Notre had assistance from Rockstar North and SD. They are pretty infamous for using the same engine for just about every big name game they are working on. Who knows how many of their own personal in house short cuts were implemented to get LA into the shape it became. Let alone the fact that those publishers still use the same engine to this day.

Basically what I’m getting at is that there is significantly more to game development then just the programming.