Experimental branch "Missing Executable" on Linux systems? (Steam)

O.K. then, patience, my dear, patience. GARRRRY, GET YOUR F*CKING ASS TO WORK! Eaaaaaasy, eaaaasy. Let’s see if there’s another update. Maybe this one brings the fix. :v:

[editline]17th May 2014[/editline]

New update!!! It looks like he did something

garry - 16/5/2014 20:34

Changed linux build options (test)

In this case I withdraw my words

[editline]17th May 2014[/editline]

Well, for now the game can be started from Steam but still no server (error DllNotFoundException: SteamNative). At least they are working on it. Keep it rolling, guys!

I’m seeing the same thing. Steam now starts the game correctly but no servers. Good progress.

Yea, it looks like they changed it back to build 32 and 64 bit versions of rust (rust.x86 and rust.x86_64) instead of the 32 bit Rust executable. Also they fixed the issue with the case-sensitive data directory. Anyway changing build options doesn’t seem to be enough to fix this. I guess they are missing libSteamworksNative.so or something like that (I could’t find a SteamNative.so or anything similiar extcept the steamworks native at any other steam game I own).

But now a word directly to garry: It’s nice to have 32 and 64 bit builds, but you should change the steam settings to run none of them directly. Instead you should run a small shell script (maybe called rust.sh or rustLauncher.sh) with content like that in it:

#!/bin/bash

ARCH=`uname -m`
if [ "$ARCH" == "x86_64" ]; then
    EXT=$ARCH
else
    EXT="x86"
fi

./rust.$EXT $@

The positive side effect from this solution is that you could manipulate environment variables if you ever need to do this, like that:

#!/bin/bash

SYSTEM_LIBS=false

ARCH=`uname -m`
if [ "$ARCH" == "x86_64" ]; then
    EXT=$ARCH
else
    EXT="x86"
fi

RUST_LIBS=`pwd`/libs$ARCH

# Parse arguments
do
key="$1"
shift

case $key in
    --useSystemLibraries)
    SYSTEM_LIBS=true
    ;;
    *)
    ;;
esac
done

if [ "$USE_SYSTEM_LIBS" == true ]; then
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$RUST_LIBS
else
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$RUST_LIBS:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
fi

./rust.$EXT $@

Please note that these scripts are untested, quick and dirty written examples.

I’ll check into why SteamNative isn’t running.

Also, no need for a script.

The last update seems to have broken the non experimental branch

I don’t want to be annoying or anything but this is still not working. Maybe it’s Steam the one that must fix its library.

Really starting to miss Rust :frowning:

Yeah, everyday I get updates but none of them is related to this problem. New animations and fancy things but they cannot be tested. They don’t even have an emoticon for “sad” so I will just put this here

:frowning:

I just wish I could at least play the regular version.

If the other branches aren’t working either then I don’t understand why they are adding content when the binaries don’t work?

I’m playing the “regular version” just fine. Perhaps you need to delete your local data/etc and reinstall?

No more signs of interest into this issue (oooh, yeaah, but they added “new grass and decor system”, what can I say?). I’m going back to Post 17

Maybe because it have been fixed ? (was just a steam problem, just needed to add or remove the _64 at the end of the file)

Don’t dig old threads like that, if the bug is live again you should create a new post

It has been fixed… here is the new problem

I just did a fresh install and I am getting the “Failed to start game (missing executable)”

Changing /home/jraddigan/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/rust to /home/jraddigan/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/rust.x86 removes the error but I just get the preparing to launch rust for a micro second.

Renaming rust_Data to Rust_Data and nothing changed.

Not sure if it’s a regression or something else. Is a default install working for anybody else or are the hoops still required?