Extracting game models.

So here’s the thing recently I visited a friend of mine who also has G-mod installed on his PC, among the ragdolls he had dl’ed there were a few “Rampage: Total Destruction” Ragdolls (Doesn’t matter if you’ve never heard of the game, it’s not that good) there were almost 15 ragdolls however I’ve searched the entire net and found only 3 R:TD ragdolls so I asked my friend where he got them from and he told me he got like 4 of them from a pack and he made the rest of 'em. From what he told me he uses a model ripping program or something and just ports any model to Gmod.

So my question is how the hell can anyone do that ? I mean, I thought in order to get models you should get into a lot of trouble first before getting it into Gmod, is it that simple ? Or is my friend just bulls*iting me ?

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the right section for this.

Alright. First: unless it’s done in the source engine, there’s probably no way to directly put the models into gmod. There is always a middleman program or programs. Second: if the model is easily importable into a program like Maya or 3DS max, then yeah, just export the .smds, compile, and done, it’s available in gmod(provided the textures are already UV mapped and in place, converted into .vtfs an .vmts). Oftentimes it requires more work.

In short, figure out what program he is using, use it to get the models into Blender, Milkshape, 3DS max, or Maya, and then export and compile. It’s best you search for the best method for whatever program you’re using.

Well, he could of found some for Half-Life 2, L4D, or another source game, and just pasted 'em in and said he ported them right from the game.

[quote=“Biaxailemperor, post:3, topic:100962”]

Alright. First: unless it’s done in the source engine, there’s probably no way to directly put the models into gmod. There is always a middleman program or programs. Second: if the model is easily importable into a program like Maya or 3DS max, then yeah, just export the .smds, compile, and done, it’s available in gmod(provided the textures are already UV mapped and in place, converted into .vtfs an .vmts). Oftentimes it requires more work.

He told me he uses game assassin to rip the models, then fixes a few minor details in 3 ds max (not always though) and he then uses the steam developer kit or sth to port them to gmod.

Well there you go: get Game Assassin and 3DS Max, get the Source SDK tools for 3DS Max, rip the models, and then convert them into .smds and in the case of textures, .vtfs and .vmts. Game Assassin and 3DS Max are the unavoidable middlemen here. If you’re still having trouble, look up the Valve Developer Wiki. There’s alot there, but not everything.

We’d have armies of porters if 3ds Max wasnt a huge factor

I did a little research but all this seems way too complicated I mean my friend is no programmer so I think he uses another way.

That’s not programming… it’s modelling :stuck_out_tongue:

Extremely doubtful. Unless the game is in source engine, that pathway’s about as basic as it gets.

Ok, thanks anyway Biaxailemperor I might try to make some ragdolls myself, you seem to be well-informed on this topic :wink: