Faceposer expressions do not work in Gmod.

My problem does not just regard Gmod, it also regards the Source SDK’s Faceposer. So if you don’t know anything about that, feel free to recommend stuff to me, but make it logical.

My problem is that I am making a scene in which Gman says the infamous Monty Python line “And now for something completely different”. I follow Katana314’s Youtube tutorial for coreographing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuYf6mpo5bs), filling in the blanks of the tutorial myself.

I load the SDK up, choose “Half Life 2” as the game name (if I choose HL2 ep2, the folders are in weird places, files are hidden, and it’s generally very difficult). I load the sound up, extract the sounds, type the sentence, etc. It works PERFECTLY. I put it as a channel into “Guy” in Faceposer. Then I make a new channel for his facial expressions. I go into “Flex animations” and, just like in Gmod, I adjust it so Gman rocks his head back slightly and raises his eyebrows while saying it. This is the result in Faceposer.

As you can see, his eyebrows are up, and his head is tilted.

I save the choregraphy file as a VCD (in Half-Life 2/hl2/scenes, of course), and copy it to a self-made folder (garrysmod/garrysmod/scenes) I also extract the WAV file to Sounds. I use the gmod tool “NPC Scene” to make my characters speak, from http://garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=42593. I choose the scene (different2.vcd), click the character, and I get this result:

Gman’s lipsyncing is fantastic, and his head is tilted, but his eyebrows aren’t raised. I know this is a minor problem, but for making machinimas, it’s rather annoying to not be able to purvey any emotion other than looking at the sky. So how do I do it? Is it because of the NPC Scene tool? If it is, what can I do to correct it and have all his expressions displayed? Do I need to get another tool, or even rely on console commands?

Thanks so much, guys. I look forward to your answers. Sorry if it was a bit TL;DR, but I wanted you guys to get an exact image of what I did.

Bump? I would like some help.

You’ll probably find the bones in his face are named differently or something stupid like that, you are positive you spawned/ made the .vcd with the same version of GMan?

I’m fairly sure that I did, although I used the NPC tool, so I can’t be sure. I also tried it on a ton of different models, all had the same problems.

It’s funny, because the command “headup/down” works fine (as you can see in the pictures), it’s just that the facial expressions don’t.

I somehow get a feeling that it’s the tool that doesn’t work with flex animations. Is there anything else I can use (Tool, console commands etc) to get it to work?

The only other way I can think of testing this is to put it into a map, even if it’s just a small box room to test that it works as a scene.

Erm, sorry, but how do you do that? I know how to make a simple map in Hammer, but I don’t have any idea how to put a character & scene in there. I’ve searched around, but to no avail :(.

I can’t remember how to do it either I haven’t played around with scenes in so long. Sorry.

No worries. Luckily, I had a YouTube message from another person who directed me to a list of console commands, one of which was the one I needed.

Although, of course, I could never have done it without you guiding me in the first place. Between you & the YT guy, you solved my problem. Thanks, man, you’re a life-saver.

Hello again. I apologize for bumping this otherwise dead thread, but I have recently recieved several PMs on both FacePunch and YouTube asking me what I did to fix it. So please don’t ban me for this, it isn’t as dead as you might think ;).

The short answer was I didn’t use the NPC tool at all. Although that has lipsyncing built-in, I don’t think it displays flex animations (or emotions). Instead, I used a tutorial located here (http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Creating_your_first_Faceposer_scene), only using the final part of the tutorial, named “How to perform the performance in-game”. The quick console command is this:

ent_setname npcname; ent_fire npcname setexpressionoverride scenes\subdirectory
ame

Obviously, replacing the scenes\subdirectory
ame with the actual name of the VCD file, including where it’s located. A warning, however. This repeats the selected scene endlessly and, as far as I know, there is now way to stop it other than removing/killing the NPC involved. There probably is a way, but i haven’t found it yet.

Hope I helped a couple more of you, and best of luck!

how do you save your facepose projects/animations/etc?

Click choreography, then save.
Also, thanks. I had the exact same problem.

I’ve try that but my npc still not showing expression

sry for my bad English I’m Thai