Failing pretty badly at trying to run a server off of Linux.

I am trying to set up a server off of an old computer, on which I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit.

I followed this guide:

When I try to use the startup script shown in this guide, when I use the command “screen -x” is says “there is no screen to be attached”. If I use “screen -S Gmod” and then try to do “screen -x” again, it says “attaching from inside of screen?”

I also set up a static IP and forwarded the correct ports. I can set up a multiplayer game off of my normal computer that people can join.

This is what happens when I try to create the server manually:

server@server-HP-rp5700-Business-System:~/srcds/orangebox$ ./srcds_run -console -game garrysmod +maxplayers 16 +map gm_construct -autoupdate
Auto detecting CPU
Using default binary: ./srcds_linux
Server will auto-restart if there is a crash.
INFO: Located steam: ../steam
Updating server using Steam.
Checking bootstrapper version ...
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 5689 with name 0eBlobRegistryMutex_2085A33D5606793893EA36C7EC735111
removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 5689 with name 0eBlobRegistrySignal_2085A33D5606793893EA36C7EC735111
Failed to connect to any GeneralDirectoryServer, errno 115 "Operation now in progress"
Wed Jun 12 00:01:42 EDT 2013: Steam Update failed, ignoring.

Console initialized.
ConVarRef mat_dxlevel doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Game_srv.so loaded for "Garry's Mod"
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
Initializing Steam libraries for secure Internet server
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
dlopen failed trying to load:
/home/server/.local/share/Steam/linux32/libsteam.so
with error:
/home/server/.local/share/Steam/linux32/libsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Logging into anonymous gameserver account.
Fetching Workshop Addons.. No -authkey
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_portal.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_player_portal.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_weapons_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_weapons_portal.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_music_portal.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_escape.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_aperture_ai.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_energy_ball.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_turret_portal.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_rocket_turret.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_glados_cores.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_strider_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_turret_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_soldier_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_roller_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_combine_ball_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_citizen_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_citizen_ep1.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_zombine.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_dog_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_antlionguard_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/npc_sounds_advisor.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_e3_c17.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_e3_town.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_e3_bugbait.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_music_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_voices_episode_01.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_aftermath_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_outland_episodic.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/level_sounds_c17_02a.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_mvm.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_vo.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_vo_mvm.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_vo_mvm_handmade.txt
CSoundEmitterSystem::AddSoundsFromFile:  No such file scripts/game_sounds_vo_mvm_mighty.txt
with error:
/home/server/.local/share/Steam/linux32/libsteam.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
with error:
with error:
Unknown command "cl_cmdrate"
Unknown command "cl_updaterate"
Unknown command "rate"
Network: IP 127.0.1.1, mode MP, dedicated Yes, ports 27015 SV / 27005 CL
Lua JIT is DISABLED!
ConVarRef room_type doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Executing dedicated server config file server.cfg
Nav File is wrong or something (4)
Initializing Steam libraries for secure Internet server
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
with error:
Logging into anonymous gameserver account.
Connection to Steam servers successful.
   Public IP is 108.162.157.75.
Assigned anonymous gameserver Steam ID [A-1:467461122(3463)].
VAC secure mode is activated.
MasterRequestRestart
Your server will be restarted on map change.
Your server will be restarted on map change.

I can’t join the server and don’t know how to get to the console.

update: now it’s telling me that this is running an older version of the game. Also, I’m gonna try installing 32 bit; it seems that there are a couple problems with running 64 bit.

GMod has updated recently which is why it says you’re running an older version of the game. Update your server.

Anyway, you need to pass in your public IP in your command line.

-ip 0.0.0.0

Do you know what the command to update is?

GMod moved to Steam Pipe, so you need to use SteamCMD not hldsupdatetool:

That will allow you to download the latest GMod server version.

Here’s a guide for GMod:

You now mount other games by using:

P.S if you get some authentication error, try specifying the full path of the install location (the location must exist and must be writeable)
E.G: force_install_dir /home/username/gmod/ (when you get to that stage)

That worked, thanks.

How do you select the game mode?

edit: I figured out how to select the game mode, but whenever I try to enter it when its running Trouble in Terrorist Town, it says that something is creating script errors and stops me from entering.

+gamemode GAMEMODE_HERE

in the command line.

When I try to join the server, this is the log the console generates:

Client "Art Vandelay" connected (192.168.1.1:27005).

[ERROR] gamemodes/terrortown/gamemode/player.lua:1003: attempt to call global 'ValidEntity' (a nil value)
  1. v - gamemodes/terrortown/gamemode/player.lua:1003
   2. unknown - lua/includes/modules/hook.lua:82

[ERROR] gamemodes/terrortown/gamemode/player.lua:1003: attempt to call global 'ValidEntity' (a nil value)

Aborting HTTP request because pResponse->BSetBodyData() failed (RecvHTTPResponseData)

Dropped Art Vandelay from server (Disconnect by user.)

I’m not sure why this is happening and how to fix it. The only file I modified in the game mode was the knife, so that it would be a 1 hit kill.

Try remove the terrortown folder and update the server with ‘validate’ on the end to redownload it.

app_update 4020 validate

I tried doing that, but it didn’t download the game mode again. It did actually load TTT_bank_b3 on sandbox without crashing, though.

I’m using this version:
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=84710

I’m not sure what to do now.

Delete the gamemode folder entirely, and re-try the validate command. That version of TTT you have is horribly outdated

Wow, so outdated. That’s from GMod 11

[editline]12th June 2013[/editline]

Ninja’d, damnit

lol I just downloaded the only TTT gamemode I could find on google. Is it built into the game or something now?

Yes.

Well, the terrortown folder just appeared in my garrysmod folder when I validated this time, and everything works. Thanks.

Now I just need to figure out how to install ULX and then I’m good to go.

update:
so this is happening:

ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/trash_can.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/file_cabinet1.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/file_cabinet1.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/offpaintingf.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/table_coffee.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/de_tides/vending_hat.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/de_tides/vending_turtle.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/de_tides/vending_turtle.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/tv_plasma.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/table_coffee.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/coffee_mug3.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/coffee_mug2.mdl
ERROR!: Can't create physics object for models/props/cs_office/offinspc.mdl
area6 has Door model (models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl) with no door_options! Verify that SKIN is valid, and has a corresponding options block in the model QC file
area7 has Door model (models/props_c17/door01_left.mdl) with no door_options! Verify that SKIN is valid, and has a corresponding options block in the model QC file
Unknown command "sv_tags"

One of my friends was on and just saw errors for all of the CSS props. I’m gonna try revalidating the CSS content.

update: I have no idea how to validate game files with steamCMD

have you done this?

I’m not sure where to do those commands. I’m really new to this kind of thing.

Okay so the reason you’re getting those errors is because CSS is not mounted. SRCDS calls CSS “cstrike”, so you need to tell GMod to mount cstrike. Garry gave you a good example in that link, just modify it to point to the cstrike folder in wherever it is you have the CSS server installed.

Okay, I’ll try that.

How do you update CSS with steamCMD? I only had it updated with HLDS, and can’t seem to figure out the commands with steamCMD.

Try 232330 as the app code to update CSS

I’m using the command ./steamcmd.sh +login anonymous +force_install_dir …/css/ app_update 232330 validate +quit

It just says “connecting anonymously to steam public…success.” and then nothing after that