Fallout 3 - Model Porting

Requirements:

Engine
[ul]
[li] Any game using the Source Engine (with Source SDK support)[/li][li] Fallout 3[/li][/ul]

Model
[ul]
[li] Autodesk 3ds Max, or Autodesk Gmax (available for free) (Link)[/li]
[li] Wunderboy’s *.SMD Importer & Exporter for Autodesk 3ds Max (Link)[/li][li] 3DS NIF Plugin v3.4.2 for Autodesk 3ds Max, Autodesk Gmax (Link)[/li][/ul]

Texture
[ul]
[li] Adobe Photoshop or GIMP to open, import, export *.DDS and *.VTF files[/li][li] Nem’s Adobe Photoshop or GIMP *.VTF Plugins (Link)[/li][li] *.DDS plugin for Adobe Photoshop or GIMP[/li][/ul]

Other
[ul]
[li] Archive Utility (Link)[/li][/ul]

//To do

-Collision model and ragdoll pose information.
-Add screens.

Steps:

For this tutorial, I’m going to use “Mirelurk Hunter” model.

Step I

[ul]
[li] Extract “meshes/creatures/mirelurk” folder from “fallout 3/data/fallout - meshes.BSA” with Archive Utility.[/li][li] Extract “textures/creatures/mirelurk” folder from “fallout 3/data/fallout - textures.BSA” with Archive Utility.[/li][li] Screenshot[/li][/ul]

Step II

[ul]
[li] Open 3ds Max, go to the “file/import”. [/li][li] Select “Netimmerse/Gamebryo (*.NIF, *.KF)” from the file type. [/li][li] Import “mirelurk.NIF” from “meshes/creatures/minelurk” folder.[/li][li] Screenshot[/li][li] Screenshot[/li][/ul]

Step III

[ul]
[li] Hit “M” to open the Material Editor (you must have your mesh selected)[/li][li] Click on the empty box next to the diffuse, select bitmap from the list. [/li][li] Import “mirelurk.DDS” from “textures/creatures/mirelurk” folder.[/li][li] Click “Assing Material to Selection” from the Material Editor[/li][li] You must have “Show Map in viewport” on, in order to see the texture.[/li][li] Screenshot[/li][li] Screenshot[/li][/ul]

Step IV

[ul]
[li] Go to the “file/export”.[/li][li] Select “Source SMD (*.SMD)” from the file type, and export your model (as a Reference SMD) file.[/li][li] Screenshot[/li][/ul]

Step V

[ul]
[li] Open Notepad, and add the lines below:[/li][/ul]

//your model path and name
	$modelname mirelurk_hunter.mdl

//your materials path
	$cdmaterials models/mirelurk_hunter/

//your reference *.SMD file name
	$model body "mirelurk_hunter_reference.smd"

//your sequence *.SMD file name (this is a placeholder, until ragdoll pose is done)
	$sequence "mirelurk_hunter_reference" "mirelurk_hunter_reference"

[ul]
[li] Go to “file/save as”[/li][li] Select all formats from save type, and write your file name with *.QC to end (i.e. your_file_name.QC)[/li][/ul]

Step VI

[ul]
[li] Use studiomdl.exe from “sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin” folder to compile your *.QC file.[/li][li] You must use “Command Prompt”, in order to compile your *.QC file (see example below):[/li][/ul]

"sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin/studiomdl.exe -nop4 -mirelurk_hunter.qc"

Step VII

[ul]
[li] Open, and convert *.DDS files to *.VTF files with Adobe Photoshop or GIMP.[/li][li] Use DXT1 Format for main, DXT5 Format for normal textures (turn off sharpen soft too)[/li][li] Put them in the materials folder your specified in your *.QC file.[/li][li] You can now open, and view your model using Model Viewer from Source SDK (it doesn’t have ragdoll for now).[/li][/ul]

Mirelurk Hunter - Release and Source Files

[ul]
[li] Release (no longer work)[/li][li] Source Files (no longer work)[/li][/ul]

Porting with Blender (work in progress)

You will need:

-Blender
-Blender *.SMD importer & exporter (http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Blender)
-Blender *.NIF plugin (unknown, see below)

-You can alternatively use NIF Tools to open, and export the model as *.OBJ (without a skeleton).

This should help people to do fallout now :smiley:

I like how your Fallout avatar is teaching us. :v:

Very nice work. Here’s to hoping it gets some more models out there. :smiley:

I doubt anyone has the time to download all that crap, but It’ll be interesting how this turns out.

NOOO! I don’t have 3ds!

how can you not have time to download it all you have to do is click the link lol

Huh? What do you mean? Don’t you pay for 3ds max?

You do, but there is a 30 day trail.

ANd how many models could I port? And I don’t have any experience.

stop complaining and just try and learn, geez.

Try GMax (I don’t know if plugins are compatible with GMax or not).

I’m gonna try and port the missile launcher.

Edit:

Aww. This shit isn’t UW(or whatever) mapped :frowning:

Edit:

Oh wait. It is.

Sorry for the large bump, but when I try to compile in GUIStudioMDL, it gives me this:

WARNING: AppFramework : Unable to load module p4lib.dll!
Can't find steam app user info.

Help!

Did it in less then 30 minutes, AWESOME thanks so much I’mma port like a mad man.

Release would be nice :<

Could you do a Tut for us who use Blender?

I’ll try.

Thanks

Can you help on resizing incredibly large models to what the should be?