Fast Download - where have i gone wrong?


I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me out with setting up ‘Fast Download/sv_downloadurl’ for my server. I have given it a good go now for about a week but I’m not making any progress.

What I need:
I would like to setup Fast Download for my server so that clients dont have to sit through 20 minutes~ of downloading before they can run riot on my server.

What I’ve done:
I have followed this tutorial from youtube and have copied each and every step:

Here is my server config file:

	"hostname"				"myserver"
	"sv_lan"				"0"
	"maxplayers"			"6"
	"sbox_allownpcs"			"0"
	"sbox_maxprops"				"100"
	"sbox_maxragdolls"			"2"
	"sbox_maxnpcs"				"0"
	"sbox_maxballoons"			"10"
	"sbox_maxeffects"			"10"
	"sbox_maxdynamite"			"5"
	"sbox_maxlamps"				"5"
	"sbox_maxthrusters"			"28"
	"sbox_maxwheels"			"20"
	"sbox_godmode"				"0"
	"sbox_plpldamage"			"1"
	"sbox_playergod"			"0"
	"sbox_noclip"				"1"
	"sbox_maxhoverballs"			"20"
	"sbox_maxvehicles"			"3"
	"sbox_maxbuttons"			"20"
	"sbox_maxsents"				"5"
	"sbox_maxemitters"			"5"
	"sbox_maxspawners"			"3"
	"sbox_maxturrets"			"3"
	"sbox_maxwire_thrusters"		"20"
	"contraptionary_intermission_time"	"120"
	"contraptionary_guess_time"		"600"
	"contraptionary_max_guesses"		"10"
        "rcon_password"				"########"
	"sv_allowdownload"			"1"
	"net_maxfilesize"			"200"
	"sv_voiceenable"			"1"
	"sv_alltalk"				"1"
	"lua_log_sv"				"0"
        "sv_downloadurl"                  ""
        "sv_allowupload"                  "1"

I have successfully transferred over the neccessary folders to my webspace server excluding the addons, bin, config and data folders as instructed in the video.

The problem:
For test purposes i have used the ‘resource.addfile’ function which points to a file on the webspace server that i dont have on my local machine. As you know this function will force me to download the file in question before i can join. here is the code for this function:


That code is correct to my knowledge and i have placed it on my garrysmod gameserver in the directory: garrysmod/lua/autorun/server/

Upon joining the server i am not forced to download the file targeted in the resource.addfile lua file and upon joining the server I am faced with this:

As you can see the .mdl file is not called and the server proceeds with the usual assmod/motd.txt file. Ignore the health stool lol.

After joining this is the first thing you see:

Obviously there is a problem with the Assmod message of the day file but i honestly dont know what that problem is.

I honestly appreciate if you have actually read this far as that, in itself, is quite selfless if you ask me :P. I further appreciate anyone who can help me out with this.



“Firefox can’t find the server at”

Maybe that’s why?

Try to:
-clear all your dua file in the cache/dua folder.
-disable the sv_downloadurl.
-join your server.
-copy the new cache folder in your fastdl.
-enable the fastdl.
And it should work.

should be

but i’m not sure of that


He’s replaced everything with random shit :v:



I have solved the issues seen here. Just writing this to benefit anyone who runs into problems with this in the future who may come across this thread looking for answers as i did.

I had these problems seen above due to this:

  1. My resouce.addfile test file was written ever so slightly wrong so it wasn’t even active. be sure to analyze your code often.

  2. The black screen upon join was due to not copying over the MOTD.txt file from the data folder of my garrysmod gameserver to my webspace server. I didnt do this because the tutorial i posted in my first post says not to. If you are using ‘ASSMOD’ then the data folder must be copied over from your gameserver to your webspace server.

I can now get on with writing essays in code :P, thanks to those who helped out :slight_smile: