Favorite IDE

Just want to ask some of the people that are coders, what is your favorite Lua IDE? If you don’t use an IDE, than please don’t post anything. If you don’t know what an IDE is, please follow this link.

!cake does a really good in-game IDE here.

I find most IDEs to be bulky and unnecessary; I rarely use them except for Java and C++… I use Eclipse for Java, and MS VS for C++…

For Lua, because of auto-refresh ( no need to compile scripts before running them and having them update in real time ) leaves me to use what I typically like in an editor: A simple notepad / notepad like program with syntax highlighting, line numbering / gutter, and a few other essentials are nice… I’m no fan of bloat.

That being said, I use several programs together to make everything work well together. Autosizer to automatically move GMod to my left screen, auto size my folders and move them to a location, auto size and move Notepad++ to a specific location, autosize and position elements of Notepad++ that can float or be docked, I float them on my left monitor partially taking up the gmod space because when I code I don’t need access to the game or if I do I just close the windows ( search and project manager )…

I use Desktops to create other desktops for other work, I typically use 2, my primary for coding with the game up, number 2 for Source Tree ( ie updating git / bitbucket with newer versions of my dev base ) and other project management stuff…

I use Process Explorer to manage running programs, handles, etc…

I’d highly recommend Notepad++, it has all of the necessary features, is light weight, extremely customizable and works well… I have an upgrades page for Notepad++ in the useful programs guide below ( which shows how to subscribe to GMod Lua Syntax Highlighter, how to install the most current version, how to update the right click menu, and more )…

Generalized Lua Help ( Links to Wikis, Answers the question of “Where do I post a simple question or DarkRP Specific question”, links to other resources compiled by forum members )
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26074909/tutoring/___welcome_docs/_welcome_general_lua_learning.lua.html

Useful Programs ( SteamCMD, Autosizer, Desktops, Process Explorer ) and Notepad++ Upgrades
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26074909/tutoring/___welcome_docs/_welcome_useful_programs_and_notepadpp_upgrades.lua.html

Same as Acecool, I use IntelliJ IDEA for Java, and Microsoft VS 2013 for C/C++.

For lua, i just have Notepad++ with a syntax hightlighting plugin, witch is half broken. In all cases you don’t need big IDEs for modding GMod.

!cake is interesting but does not work on SRCDS servers, it’s only working client side. So you can’t develop a multiplayer game mode.

Sublime Text 3

it works on a server, you’re just not setting it up correctly.