.FBX to .mdl (Convert to source model?) how to?

Hi I was just wondering what is the process of converting models made in 3ds max to be compatable with the source engine?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Depending on what version of 3Ds Max you have, you have a couple of options:
If you are using 3DS Max versions 2009 to 2012, you can use Wunderboy’s SMD importer and exporter.

If you are using any version newer than 2012, you can use WallWorm Model tools to import/export SMD’s.

In 3DS Max, you would have to import the FBX files you have, then export them as SMD’s. From there, you’ll have to make a QC file (which is essentially a txt file with a .qc extension) that will set the options for which the model will be “compiled”, or turned into an mdl file.

Once you have your SMD and your QC files, use Crowbar to compile the model. Then simply plop your mdl files into the correct folders in Garry’s Mod/other Source game you’re working on, and see how it fares.

A few things to note:

1. QC’s are a little difficult to make, despite having the Valve Dev Wiki link I had posted above. Therefore, you can try using QC Generator to help you. I’ve never used it, but it seems to work.
  2. For Crowbar to work, you must have the Source SDK version for the game you are trying to get a model into. For safety’s sake, I suggest installing every SDK Version (Source SDK, Source SDK Base 2006, Source SDK 2007, Source SDK 2013 Multiplayer, Source SDK 2013 Singleplayer) as to allow you to compile correctly for pretty much every Source Engine game.

If you have any more questions, simply ask. If I’m not able to answer, hopefully someone else will do so.