Fixing HLSR textures - updating chrome system

So, everybody knows the famous Silverlan’s HLSR (http://www.facepunch.com/threads/945820-Half-Life-Renaissance-Reconstructed). To be short It’s a unexpendable mod for any Half-Life fan.
The point is this mod is now abandoned and no is longer being updated. I’ve been working on some fixes for this as I want to use this to make a Machinima.

Further Information
Garry’s updated the game engine and some old stuff no longer works. In this case, it’s the chorme textures which is used a lot on older Half-Life models like the Gordon’s Hand, Almost all weapons, Barneys helmet, Alien Grunt’s armor, Assassin’s suit etc.
I’m a beginner in Garry’s Mod so I don’t know too much yet. I’ve trying to fix the chorme but I always got some type of error. That’s my most newer try. I’ve messed a little with the texture files and the result is not THAT bad but still is not what I want. The point is, I don’t understand why all the effect goes alway when you turns the flashlight on.

UPDATES - Current skins.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2420/2011071800001.jpg

The HECU Marines : I’ve made them look more like the real HECU, with the same camouflage and stuff, and with a better graphical quality, normal map etc. Also I’ve removed some branch mistakes from Silverlan originals, like the U.S Army star cap and the Brazilian Commandos Berett.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1157/2011071700004.jpg

Alien Grunt: I’ve sucefully ported ShoTGuNGuY49’s Alien Grunt HD base chrome into this older model.

• Nugem

Chrome is just a reflective texture. Give it a fresh .vmt and make an envmap for it.

Use my .vmt settings from this.

It’s not perfect, but it’s close enough.

In fact, I’ve been using those for base. It’s a little too mirrored but it still turns white.

The .vmt is fine. It is the .vtf that is the problem. Fix the alpha channel.

That’s the real problem. I’m not very familiar with the texture language yet. I need some suggestions and help in this case. How exactly I fix the Alpha Channel? I use VTFEditor for texture edditing.

Convert .vtf (valve texture format) to .tga (targa) then open the .tga in your software of choice; GIMP, Jasc Paintshop, Photoshop CS#, etc.

Find the .tga’s channels. Look for “Alpha” or “Alpha1”

So I’ve done what you told me. I’ve found the “Alpha1” into Photoshop and it was blank. I didnt really know what do to do, so I’ve copied and pasted the original one into it but it still doesn’t work.
I’ve tried on the Alien Grunt only yet.
It appaers to be the way…

Alpha is different depending on what you’re doing. The trouble with chrome is that it isn’t a proper texture, it’s just a generic “Make this area shiny” and there would be no detail if you made it just shiny.

But either way, look at the env_cubemap texture in the source materials .gcf, should give you a better understanding.

Okay…I’ve spent another couple of hours trying to fix this with no success at all. Trying new files, new configurations etc. Also, I haven’t found this env_cubemap on the gcf. yet.

I’m starting to get really bothered bout this issue. Theres any way you can send me an example (if possible in one of these non-working models) of how the vtf. should be and what the .vtm should be to work propertly? I’m really needing some base right now, mate.

Source materials.gcf

hl2\materials\Dev\dev_envcubemap.vtf
hl2\materials\Dev\dev_envcubemap.vmt
hl2\materials\Dev\dev_envmap.vmt
hl2\materials\Dev\dev_envmap.vtf

The Alien Grunt is done. After some understanding of the VTM files I’ve used sucefully used ShoTGuNGuY49’s Alien Grunt HD base to port into this older model.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1157/2011071700004.jpg

So here I am, stuck again. Looks like I’ve fixed several missing effects but there’s one in particular i’m having some issues to fix.
Before I jump to the question I would like to say I’ve learnt a lot in the last week. A special thanks to HatredViral and Shotgunguy49 for supporting me my “noob questions”.
So heres the problem: - The Black Ops Female Assassin latex effect

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8048/assassinmap.png

I’m using the same base of the Alien Grunt chorme effect so the result is similar. I’ve tried to change the values to get a different color and reflection but without any result.
The one I want to be OUTSIDE is the same from INSIDE. The INSIDE is when I look with the flashlight in a dark place.

Heres the VTM I’m using:

*“VertexLitGeneric”
{
“$baseTexture” “models/half-life/hassassin/Fassn_body”
“$bumpmap” “models/half-life/hassassin/Fassn_body-normal”
“$surfaceprop” “rubber”
“$model” 1
“$envmap” “env_cubemap”
“$envmaptint” “[ .10 .10 .20]”
“$envmapcontrast” 1
“$envmapsaturation” .5

"$phong" "1"
"$phongexponent" "10''"
"$phongboost" "1"
"$phongfresnelranges"    "[.15 5 1]"
"$phongtint" "[ .50 .60 .90]"
"$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

// Rim lighting parameters
"$rimlight" "1"
"$rimlightexponent" "5"
"$rimlightboost" ".5"

"VertexLitGeneric_HDR_DX9"
{
    "$envmap" "env_cubemap"
}

}*

What I want is to somebody help me to change these values to a value that looks like the reflex from the INSIDE picture.

Why are you using the Agrunt chrome on the fassassin when the fassassin in my svn already worked?

Cause this chrome on darker places creates the exactly texture reflex I want for the model (look at the picture). The one from the SVN is, at least on my configs, is too silvered and it don’t use phong maps.
Looks like you know how to do it, and if you do, please help me to get out of this case cause I’m stuck here.

Looks like it’s really hard to make this effect I requested. Nobody here seens to know. Anyway, I’ll keep working hard.

We know, it’s just chrome is a redundant technology that has been superseded by environment maps. What you need to do is file a request for a texturer to create a proper texture, alphamap and .vmt for you.

Alternatively look at other peoples models and textures and look how their alphamaps work. Alphas are used for more than just reflective textures.

Well, what I wanted was not so complex. It was just a color and intensity reduction. Anyway, I managed to fix. I will posting a screenshoot soon.

Can’t you just use a phonglightwarptexture?

On HL1 models, it looks pretty bad. It’s chrome or nothing.