Footsteps a little too heavy?

This is nit picky, really really nitpicky; but I kind of think the new bare footstep sounds are a little too heavy/bass heavy and their spacing when you run sounds a bit like I’m limping or riding a horse depending on which surface I’m running on. Snow still sounds great, nice and crunchy. My kid asked me if I was riding a horse yesterday (in reference to the footsteps) so surely I canne be the only one who has noticed this?! Half the time if I’m running around in my birthday suit I think there is a bear after me…usually there is, but now it’s hard to hear over my own feetslaps! I think I preferred the light on my feet sounds.

edit this has now been fixed as of Devblog 110** :slight_smile:

Many of the sounds in rust appear “doubled”. Its a mix of many different sounds, you can hear for example the wood cracking and the metal from the hatchet. When it rains, I sometimes hear a step instead of rain somewhere close to me but its my own steps.

I agree that they’re a little too loud, or maybe just too many sounds combined.

The foot steps are obnoxious right now, and a complete joke when compared to bears.

You can’t turn them down in game?

Sometimes it sounds like a distant tree being hit with a hatchet among other similar sounds very annoying.

Could increase the size of the feet so it would be appropriate.

yes far too heavy and loud. i felt like i was an elephant.

Yeah but its still nice when you can hear if someone is sneaking (while not crouching) towards you.

This! :smiley:

I believe this could be a remedy with eq. Taking out the middle frequency tones and keeping the lower frequency tones in order to "feel’ the footstep rather than hear it.
Obviously you should still be able to hear and should but the fear factor is not hearing it yet knowing.

Removing the lows on the feet would be preferable imo. As the feet are now almost as bassy as a bear it’s removed some of the “ohshit” factor from when you heard a bear nearby; as you are constantly subjected to your own feet which now sound just as heavy.

You could have an option to remove or lower the sound of your own foot. to listen only of others.

The noise of the human foot is taller and heavier than the bear.
The bear does not sound, he is ninja. ninja bear

It is like the legend of Big Foot.
It is better to increase the size of the human and the foot to be more appropriate.

Triq, it actually is a bit psychological. Removing the lowend frequency will actually give you any “physicality” to the impression it is supposed to make. For instance, in any Star wars movie if you were to remove the full blaster sound(Low ,High and Mid freq) it just wouldn’t have the same impact. That is the full spectrum being used.
If you feel ,or at least are aware of the footstep (the bottom end of the frequency of Alex’s samples) but not fully able to hear the higher frequency I am guessing that would bring the fear factor back due to you know there are footsteps but you just can’t pin point where they are. Knowing where they are is the higher frequency coming through.

[quote=“Triquatra, post:11, topic:223831”]

Removing the lows on the feet would be preferable imo. As the feet are now almost as bassy as a bear it’s removed some of the “ohshit” factor from when you heard a bear nearby; as you are constantly subjected to your own feet which now sound just as heavy.[/QUOTE

I agree they should remove feet.

I think I shouldn’t have mentioned the fear factor, as it wasn’t the main point of my post. Back to my original post, my initial point was more that I think my clown feet are a drowning out the rest of the environment (and that the sounds/spacing make it either seem like you’re limping or galloping depending on which surface you’re running on).

I had not much problems with the new sounds, maybe they just need to balance the volume a bit.

Agree steps are too heavy right now
Sometimes there is random sounds of foot steps of other ppl and it freaks me out

The bushes make footstep sounds when its windy … the steps, the wind, the crickets …are all too loud and you cannot seperated them from the main volume and vise versa

we need to be able to control the ambiant noises seperatly from main volume controls because at the moment control of game noise they dont seem to work

This is not a issue of volume normalization, it’s about the balancing and blending of each tone.
Yes, there should be a way to normalize sounds via ambient sound or game sound but this is not what is causing this

footsteps may not be perfect now but I love the new gunshots and hitmark sound balance. feels even better to shoot people now.