FortwarsX - The ultimate Fretta fort wars gamemode!

Hi all! This is my new gamemode, called FortwarsX! The purpose of this gamemode is to build a base sandbox-style, and then try to take the flag and hold it for as long as possible. The build and fight phase both last 7.5 minutes, and after the fight phase is over, the team who held onto the flag the longest wins! There’s a neat spawnmenu for the build phase and custom weapons for the fight phase. I know that there have been lots of Fortwars gamemodes in the past, but this is one of the few made with Fretta. The first one to be made with Fretta was kinda rubbish (you could pick eachother up!), and this is basically a complete remake of it.

It has 3 classes: Demolition guy, Veteran and Scout. Not the most original ones but whatever. You can guess how it goes:[ul]
[li]The Demolition guy is very slow and doesn’t jump high, but you get a Deagle and C4 explosives![/li][li]The Veteran is an all-around guy. He’s a professional in firearms, because he’s been working at the army for ages. He doesn’t have bad agility as well.[/li][li]The Scout is a fairly new guy. He’s young, not very powerful, but jesus christ, this fucker can run fast! (And he’s the only one who can grab the flag!)[/ul][/li]
It’s all made with the Fretta Gamemode Base. I got huge help from the wiki, sandbox, and some other lua-resources :v: I also used some code from Carnag, the maker of the old Fretta fortwars.

I’m currently too lazy to make a video, but here are some random screenshots (OLD OLD OLD)!
[img_thumb]filebox.me

Download it here: filebox.me (version 1.3, about 2.7 mb)
Extract it to your garrysmod/gamemodes folder.
NOTE: FRETTA IS REQUIRED. It works both in the Gmod Beta SVN and normal Gmod, but the normal gmod has some tiny glitches.

Changelog:
V1.1:
* Fixed weapon damage
* Fixed spectators showing up at the screen at the end of the game
V1.2:
* Pressing q in the fight phase now switches to your last weapon you used
* Props cannot be forced to the other side of the map anymore
* Nerfed Demolition Guy (he doesn’t have a gravity gun anymore, so he has to get someone else to get the flag)
* The flag now emits a dynamic light
* Forgot to resource.AddFile() the flag icon
* Some other shit I forgot
V1.3:
* Demolition Guy has again been nerfed and now only has a Desert Eagle and C4 explosives
* New explosion effect (for the C4)
* Demolition Guy and Veteran now have different health
* Only the Scout now has the gravity gun
* Cool ending effect added (camera moves smoothly to the flag)
* New, improved weapon base with dynamic crosshairs
* Props cannot be forced to the other side anymore
* Some glitches & bugs fixed
* Compressed some textures

Enjoy :buddy:
(Note that I only tested this gamemode with bots and there might be still bugs in it)

:siren:HOW TO MAKE MAPS FOR IT::siren:
It’s pretty simple. You need a func_brush named separator as a wall seperating the red and blue side. You also need a** fw_flag** entity. You need 2 **func_fw_propfield brush entities, one covering the whole red base and the other covering the whole blue base. They should have a team keyvalue with value 1 for the red side and 2 for the blue side. That’s about it. Oh, and info_player_terrorist **for red spawn points and info_player_counterterrorist for blue spawn points.

Nice, installing now to my server

Oops, looks like all that gamemode do - spam to server console “No flag entity! Whine at mapper!” :slight_smile:

why isnt the map textured?

That’s weird, are you playing it on the fw_battlefield map? It’s the only map you can play this gamemode on!
And make sure you updated your Gmod Beta SVN to the latest version!

Because I’m lazy.

Beta? Why the fuck is beta? I always running fretta on normal server (:

You could open up gamemode/init.lua, then go to line 93 and then change this:
[lua] if ( !ValidEntity( flag ) ) then print( “No flag entity! Whine at mapper!” ) return end[/lua]
to
[lua] if ( !ValidEntity( flag ) ) then return end[/lua]
to disable the console spamming. Then you can spot the error in the console, and post it here.

Making gamemodes for GMod beta is very, very dumb. Most servers and clients are using normal gmod, not beta. And nobody will install beta on client/server just to play one gamemode. Remove this from official SVN.

It isn’t even on there yet. I fired a PM to SteveUK, he still has to do it.
Besides that, just take a look at the gamemode before going “JESUS CHRIST IT NEEDS GMOD BETA SVN THIS GAMEMODE SUCSK!!!”

[editline]02:39PM[/editline]

NEWS FLASH:

It works on normal Gmod! So you can just copy the fretta folder from the Gmod Beta SVN to your normal Gmod gamemodes folder and enjoy this gamemode! There’s some glitches with clientside stuff, but you most probably won’t notice them!

New version 1.1!

Fixed weapon damage
Fixed spectators showing up at the screen at the end of the game

Here’s another thing you need to fix…

Unassigned players can spawn shit.

Also, you should really compress those textures. :wink:

It’s been a while, but here is version 1.2!

[ul]
[li]Pressing q in the fight phase now switches to your last weapon you used
[/li][li]Props cannot be forced to the other side of the map anymore
[/li][li]Nerfed Demolition Guy (he doesn’t have a gravity gun anymore, so he has to get someone else to get the flag)
[/li][li]The flag now emits a dynamic light
[/li][li]Forgot to resource.AddFile() the flag icon
[/li][li]Some other shit I forgot
[/li][/ul]
I hope I didn’t fuck something up this time. Enjoy :buddy:

MAJOR UPDATE!! Version 1.3 is here!
http://filebox.me/files/fwr640wsf_FortwarsX.zip (2.7 mb)
Changelog version 1.3:
* Demolition Guy has again been nerfed and now only has a Desert Eagle and C4 explosives
* New explosion effect (for the C4)
* Demolition Guy and Veteran now have different health
* Only the Scout now has the gravity gun
* Cool ending effect added (camera moves smoothly to the flag)
* New, improved weapon base with dynamic crosshairs
* Props cannot be forced to the other side anymore
* Some glitches & bugs fixed
* Compressed some textures

Now everything lua-wise is done, I need some new maps. I’m adding a mapping guide to the OP.

Dlaor, im just asking, do you want to use my server as a tester server for your gamemode so your not testing on bots all the time? :3

Why putting this in an Addon Format?
Thats absolut non-usefull for gamemodes…

Edit: Well maybe its needed for fretta…

It’s not addon format, it’s gamemode format.

Well… i saw this after complaining :wink:
Sorry.
So ill try this now. If it’s good ill host it.

How do i make a the fw_flag and other things show up insource sdk???
plz reply

link dead :frog: