Foundations, Pillars, Placements, and Suggestion

I know many of you have probably figured this out, but I hear people often ask ‘why can you even put a pillar in the center of a foundation or in the middle of the side?’

In case you weren’t aware, walls can be put down between any two pillars that are the ‘right’ distance apart, which is 1 foundation width (which I will call 1F from now on). So, if you build a 5x5 foundation, you actually have a lot of potential placement arrangements that can create 1F spacing for walls, including for example, a 4x4 house arrangement that would leave .5F on the outer edge (that could itself be walled off to be make a ‘double wall’). Technically, you can build three walls in the space of 1 foundation – the outer edge, the middle, and the inner edge. Pillars placed in the center of two connected foundations are also 1F apart, so you can build walls, stairs, etc that are technically .5F shifted from how most people tend to build. This is why you should put more than just middle pillars down on foundations around your house.

Anyway, I have experimented with this, and I think with just a few added parts, it would open up a whole new set of options for base building that would allow players to maximize space and create some more secure (double exterior walls) and interesting (potentially less boxy) bases:

• Half Wall – this would be just like a regular wall but can be placed between two pillars that are .5F apart
  • Half Doorway – Doors are less than .5F wide, so it’d be nice to have a doorway that is .5F apart to allow for tighter hallways with doors
  • Half and Quarter Ceilings – these would be like a regular ceilings, but 1/2 and 1/4 the size that would allow for areas that have walls that are .5 apart to be capped with ceilings. A half ceiling would cap a hallway with two parallel walls, and a quarter ceiling would allow a corner to be capped where two walls that are .5F apart make 90 degree turns
  • Half Ramp – this would be a ramp that rose a full pillar level like the full ramp, but only took up half the width. With the new wall sizes and reclaimed space, these could be used as an alternative to the regular stairs.