Freezes on launch

Hello, all

I recently decided to start playing garrysmod again and was dissapointed to see that I am unable to on either my laptop or my desktop PCs. I meet all requirements and then some, and have tried a multitude of fixes, however I can’t find anything directly similar to my problem.

My problem is as follows: I launch the game from steam, the screen changes resolutions to suite the games needs. At this point the game screen is open to the man with his back turned carrying the physics gun while birds are flying away and around while the loading symbol is in the right corner. It is “Not resopnding” at this point and so I am forced to end task.

Please, if anyone has an information on my problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

P.S. No addons at this time

EDIT: My specs:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 450  @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Graphics Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

IT happens because garry’s mod takes a while to load. Just let it load for a few minutes more. It just takes a lot of time to load once every time that you turn on your pc. Well that is what atleast happens to me.
After lunching garry’s mod, go get your self a cup of coffee while waiting. Works for me.

Vista/7 sucks in that regard, it has a habit of registering apps that are doing heavy loading/being resource heavy as having hung. Do as Thurax says, unless the window pops up saying it’s not responding without even clicking anything.

Well actually, that can happen. You should only close it if it says that hl2.exe had a problem, because it might say it’s not responding but still could be loading.