Frequency of/Content in Updates

This is my first rant post. I am fully aware that this doesn’t constructively contribute to the development process, and that this is purely an outlet for me to vent some frustration that has been building up in reading some of the posts on this forum.

To everyone who paid for alpha access to Rust, but are frequently verbally dissatisfied with the results:

Paying $20 and recieving alpha access to this game does not make you a producer for this game. It makes you an alpha tester. You do not have the right to bash on the dev team for not including 20 pieces of new content and bug fixes and hacker blocks with every update. You do not have the right to call the dev team lazy for not getting an update out every week. If updates were out once a week, it would probably be more lazy, because they’d have to just cut off big chunks of material that takes more than a week at a time to create. Yes the dev team is open to suggestions. But again, you are testers, not producers, and you paid $20 to see first hand the development process, and the artisic direction still belongs to the developers, so they reserve the right to not take your ideas, not push out updates every week, and take as much time as they need to develop a perfect game. That is what they are doing. They are not dicking around with millions of dollars, and anyone who says they are has no proof of it. If you don’t believe me, visit their trello page, their twitter, their facebook, and their official website. If they wanted to be stuck to a strict development schedule, they wouldn’t have gone with voluntary public funding, they would have requested financing from a production company, and the game would probably suck ass. I’ve seen multiple posts bashing the dev team for having to take time away from tirelessly coding and designing a game because of personal issues. While the details weren’t disclosed, put yourself in a hypothetical situation in their shoes: you’re working long hours on a game that you love, pushing yourself to your creative limits to get this code out in as timely a manner as you can, when you get a phone call. A loved one just got hit by a car and is in the hospital. What are you going to do? See all those posts demanding an update from your alpha testers ASAP and get back to work, or GTFO of the office and go visit your loved one? While this may not be the literal scenario, please remember that these people are human beings, and are absolutely entitled to reacting to personal issues in a totally human way. You don’t own them because you essentially donated $20 to them in exchange for being able to watch and participate in the developement process from a tester standpoint of a video game.

Please try and remember that you are testers, not producers. Please try to understand that coding in content is a long and arduous process that invloves constant troubleshooting. If you want first hand experience, Unity 3d SDK and Lua both have free versions for download, I encourage you all to give them a try. But please, for the love of God, stop acting like these people are the Devil because you don’t have sniper scopes and dinosaurs and zero hackers and jet packs and perfect graphics and 900FPS right this second.

I like how they are implementing processes that will speed up everything in the long run…

Exactly. With these changes that they’re making to the whole engine, while they may be slow now, they’ll be able to crank out more content a lot faster than they could before.

Wall of text was too much for me to read. I’m pretty sure you could have gotten your point around in 2 or 3 lines. However, I probably agree with it.

I thought I was a client getting an unfinished product when I bought the game, not a tester getting paid for doing a testing job, I may have misread something. As you say this post is for you to vent some frustration but I think you are over reacting a little. I dont think that devs gives a crap about people demanding stuff in the forum, maybe they do for a bit but eventually they will just get tired of reading shit, start ignoring us and go making the game better or whatever they need to do, so, who cares about what some impatient/bored people says? If it is any good my advice is: ignore them.

Haha sorry I’ve been holding back for fear of… I don’t know really haha. Reactions I guess? I usually don’t like being confrontational, but being on this forum has turned me into a total asshole. :zoid:

Well that’s the primary object game engines’ strive to achieve.

seriously? why even post if you didn’t read it. It took me roughly 35 seconds to read, dont see how its not possible for you to read it…

OP, i must say, i was 100% sure this was going to be a post about the apparent lack of content. i was pleasantly wrong, thank you. i also fully agree, people are getting ridiculous with how impatient they are…

It was not properly spaced and should have been two paragraphs from my glancing. I don’t do well with word vomit, I prefer people be concise.

The only thing I want for the game is to be able to put torches on a wall…lol… Oh yes and females. I feel kinda funny running around as a naked man lol. Come see me at net.connect 23.82.53.82:28025. Ask for Paye

Sorry for my formatting. Was honestly the last thing on my mind ;p

This is the internet, your not gonna make it far with that kind of attitude. If you cant deal with a few typos or failed spacing, you probably shouldn’t be here.

Believe it or not, I just got a 161.9 MB update for Rust.

TL;DR just another update thread nothing to see here

In all fairness, I’ve had plenty of hours in Rust already. More than most games I’ve paid €49,99 for.
At this moment, the game is already well worth the €18,- I’ve paid for it. Even if no more updates would come rolling in.

Any update is more than welcome ofcourse :smiley:

The worst thing? As beta testers aren’t we all meant to report everything that seems to be glitched or unfinished or missing instead of playing it as a completed game and feel like they have a right to feel ripped off.

This is an ALPHA test, not beta. Pretty sure it’s clearly stated the game is nowhere near being finished. If you pay for a game in alpha and expect it to be pretty flushed out then you really shouldn’t be here.

It’s the right direction, they need to polish the base before implementing stuff that would require to write “dirty code”.

I see that sort of ridiculous attitude on a large number of forums, spread across a variety of early access games and the like, and it can be especially odd to see someone talking about how much they love a game and it’s shaping up to be exactly what they hoped for in game development… And then a few weeks/months later they start flipping out about how things aren’t progressing fast enough for them.

I’d always written most of them off as being overly demanding, or suffering from cognitive dissonance, but awhile back I came to realize that the funniest part of their demand that a small indie developer should crank out significant weekly updates stems more from the fact that they feel passionately about the game and want to play more of it. It’s one of the reasons why there can be such high spirits in threads where people discuss potential additions to a game, so I’ve come to see even that sort of impatient whinging as proof that the games fans feel passionately about the game.

Game development is a tricky situation, you wind up with situations similar to the old parable about digging half a hole. While it seems like it would be easy on any project to just bring in more developers you fast hit a point where it takes more time to bring them all up to speed (which will eventually increase the speed of development it certainly doesn’t help the people who WANT IT NOW), and while having 200 people developing a title is commonplace in the AAA industry it also brings with it the “design by committee” feel that makes so many AAA titles bland and uninteresting.

When I get a title that is in Alpha I generally look at it like a long term investment, and as I’ve already put over ten times more time into Rust than I have into South Park: The Stick of Truth, I see the situation as one where at this point all the significant future updates that roll out are just going to give me even more reason to add to that number.

Ever since the Elemental : War of Magic debacle I try to avoid being a member of the echo-chamber cheer-squad effect that at least contributed to that game being a miserable pile of excrement. Personally, having read something said in Early Alpha about the testing versions being deliberately not-fun for the purposes of taking the features that the developers felt needed work and bludgeoning testers with them like we were all pinatas filled with great ideas. As the game seemed to be getting significantly less enjoyable to play after the .2B release I figured that everything was proceeding apace. Instead of course as we all came to discover Brad Wardell was too busy writing a terrible book to actually pay attention to game development.

Since then I realize that even voices of dissent have their place in a development forum, perhaps if there had been more of them and fewer people like me arguing that the developer should be given the benefit of the doubt the game might have been delayed and a proper product may have been released instead. Game development is an odd duck, most creative projects are the summation of a single vision, and the efforts of perhaps a handful of others helping to bring that vision to life.

Movies even have a director, who ideally controls everything in the project to bring all the work of disparate entities into one finished product. And the Star Wars prequels are a good example of what can happen when no one has the cojones to tell a director that their ideas are bad and they should feel bad. But not every game works the same way, and people who have been on a number of projects in the games development industry often have stories about how it looked like a game was a steaming pile that couldn’t possibly come together in time, only to meet their deadline and be well received.

If you managed to slog through all of that, my point here is that I look at the people demanding constant updates and updates about updates and perhaps when you’re done there you could bring me up a box of dates for my date… as people who want to make sure that the same sense of needing to meet a deadline is there for a product. Maybe it’s the “when it’s finished” nature of having a small team that has already accrued a significant budget/profit that adds to it. I’m not entirely certain why they feel that way, but given the number of people who have glowing messages to convey about an indie early access product itself, and then turn around and start screaming about how updates are too slow or infrequent leads me to that conclusion.

I do agree with you, and I don’t know why you were nervous or holding back about coming to the dev’s defense.

Anyways, I don’t believe in Dev bashing, and I can’t imagine how hard of an undertaking this project must be. However, I don’t, and wouldn’t recommend dismissing all these people as being “impatient assholes”.

I believe the issue is not with the dev’s in particular, but with the Early Access/Alpha phase we’ve arrived into lately, and I’m actually starting to think it’s a bad idea.
The industry has realized that instead of paying for games, we’ll actually pay them for the promise of a game someday. The game industry realized that instead of delivering first, and then getting paid, they can get paid first and then hope against hope that they deliver.
It’s like politics. Yes complainers are being impatient, and maybe have misconceptions about what alpha is etc. etc. the usual story, but they really just want dev’s to deliver on the promises that got them “elected”. They don’t want to feel like it was a scam.

Anyone else alpha for Infestation? I did. And I got nothing for it, they got my money solely based on a sales pitch that they never delivered. And they never had to, why would they?
They already got all the money, and made all/most of the sales they possibly could. Delivering the actual game after already making all the money then becomes a waste of time.
The profitable thing would be to move on and sell another “alpha” idea.

Rust has by far been the best alpha I have played. But personally, I haven’t ever had an alpha deliver and become the finished product I was promised. And I think this might be the last one I’m going to do.

Anyways, yes I agree with you OP, but have some understanding. Cut those people some slack too.