Friday Devblog 14

If Garry makes a thread for this please delete mine, just got stoked and wanted to see what people think. Their progress is fucking astounding.

Players Die, Lootable Sleepers

Players now die. I don’t think I need to explain it. Players die and drop a corpse. You can loot their corpse. The actual looting is missing some UI work – but it kind of works.

You can also** loot sleeping players** without killing them (or give them stuff/dress them :). There’s an interesting bug right now that I have left in to see how it plays out. You can actually loot alive, awake players if you stand close enough to them. This seems like something that should be possible, but it’s a bit overpowered right now. You can literally take the rock out of the other player’s hand before they kill you if you’re fast enough. I’m leaving it in to see if it causes any significant issues, or whether it offers more emergent gameplay… my gut feeling is that we’ll have to nerf it a bit, say, add a progress bar to looting stuff – so the other player has a chance to realise what’s going on.

Thank you :*)

Wonderful devblog! One of the best I’d say. Great work!

I lol’ed at the Manly Protein Powder jug… that’s awesome.

me too :stuck_out_tongue:

If Garry and his team manage to do in-game what they are showing us. Rust could be the best game ever.

And I have a good feeling about this, I’m pretty sure we will see Rust as a never dying game like TF2.

It’s going to be way better than TF2.

This update gives me a nice and tiny Rust boner. :smile:

Comparing Rust to TF2 is like comparing apples to oranges…TF2 is an arena-style FPS and Rust is more of a survival-based open world FPS lol.

But anyways, new update looks amazing. The new UI, building mechanics, plans for fishing traps, caltrops (one of my dreams come true), and that new wolf animation for running makes it look absolutely terrifying. xD

Just wait till you take the hatchet out of the guy attacking you on experimental, it’s a wonderful feeling. I feel like as Garry says it’ll likely be tweaked but right now it’s fantastic.

Everything looks great aside from the improvised armor…that stuff always just looks way to silly IMO

Considering everyone’s dong-hanging in game, I don’t think silly is that far off of the atmosphere the devs are going for :stuck_out_tongue:

The more silly they are, the more awesome it’ll be.

I just want to do anything I want in Rust. I want to walk, find a paper bag, and put that thing on my head.

I would say this is the best devblog I have read. Wolf is amazing! :dance:

Experimental:
Creating foundations:

Cutting trees down:

Looting sleepers:

Swimming:

New campfire:

New water:

New crafting system:*

Death screen:

Sleeper screen:

This is the part I’m suuuuuper stoked about.

I have ridiculously high expectations about this game. In fact, I’ve been searching for a game which gives me this amount of freedom since a long time and Rust gave me this already in alpha stage…

Well, what can I say… I can just say that I am patiently waiting for the time the experimental branch gets in a playable state so I can call my friends to play again.

Keep up the good work.

PICK POCKETING!!!

I know! Gonna be sweeeeeeeeet. And the way you can give them stuff/dress them up while they’re sleeping is vaguely reminiscent of putting explosives in peoples’ pockets in Fallout, which to me is awesome. Can’t wait to raid a sleeper base, leave the inhabitants alive, but dress them up in whatever goofy stuff the artists add in :smiley:

Does anyone know if he’s referring to the real version or the experimental one?