Friend's Garry's Mod not loading at all

Yeah, posting this for a friend since he doesn’t want to register since his internet is being slow enough right now.

His problem is that Garry’s Mod does not load whatsoever. He says it opens, but never goes anywhere after that. It just gets stuck at the “Loading…” screen right after you start it. NOT at the progress bar where it’s loading certain modules. Before that.

He has Day of Defeat Source installed and made sure it worked, and it worked perfectly fine. But Garry’s Mod is not.

His Specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz
nVidia Geforce 9400 GT (DirectX 11)
2.5 GB RAM

He has tried defragging, verifying cache, running with the -windowed launch option, none has worked.

If you need more info, just ask me.

I had that problem before after the update, tell him to copy all of his folders in the STEAMUSER/garrysmod/garrysmod folder out and start it, it should run from there.

Now slowly copy each folder back in and it should work. There may be a dud file that is causing the problem (didn’t happen for me)

I think it says The Steam servers are not avalible or whatever this word is.
I am having same problem, for second day. TF2 doesn’t work too :confused: . Tried offline mode, still won’t work. Vertified Cache, nope. I renamed garrysmod folder. Still won’t work. Right now it is defragging.

TF2 doesn’t and GMod doesn’t work. DOD: S and CS: S do work. Portal works. Maybe something else does work too.

He said it didn’t work.

Bump… Problem still exists.

His steam works? Wow, I started with same problem, but now steam won’t work ://

Yes, his steam works just fine.
He’s playing Half-Life 2 right now and it’s working perfectly.

Tell him to uninstall i0bit Advanced System Care. Worked for me :slight_smile:

Wait what? nVidia Geforce 9400 GT doesnt support DirectX 11… This could cause some issues… If his computer thinks his card is running DX11 then he should update his drivers.

He said that he looked on nVidia’s website and his card DOES support DX11.
He also tried Gmod 9 and he could get to the menu screen, which was further then he could in 10, but he said he couldn’t click Single player and some other option for some reason.

Are the video drivers up to date?

He updated them and it still won’t work.

It wouldn’t matter if it does since Vista only supports DirectX 10 and Windows 7 supports DirectX 11
Also it does only support DirectX 10. Have a look under specs. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9400gt_us.html

Friend: HM
Friend: I don’t know how to fix that then. I would have to downgrade from DX11 to DX10
Friend: I looked for a DX10 install, but I couldn’t find one.
Friend: I didn’t look very hard, but I did look. I gave a quick look since I was busy with other things

directchatcopypastallololololo

You don’t have to downgrade/ install anything. DX10 already comes installed and the card will work that way. It “Supports DX11” so it can do it.

Friend: Hm. I see. I dunno what the problem is then.

Me nor none of my other friends can figure out why it gets stuck loading like that.

Bumping from second page for more options…
This is getting damn irritating.

I have the same problem. Check out my thread here: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1022488-GMod-startup-problems-No-errors-tried-reinstalling-etc.

If you guys find a solution, would you be so kind to let me know? Thanks

Bump, again…
Grrrr.

I bet your friend installed like DirectX 10 drivers or something, that causes problems because DirectX 10 is already installed on Vista. My friend did the same mistake, he got windows 7 and looked up DirectX 10 drivers, then he installed those and everything was fucked up for him.