Game Freezes on "Initializing Game Data"

This seemed to start happening after the update. The only way I can prevent it is by starting up the game windowed, load the map, then set it back to full screen. But this is aggravating and I don’t want to have to keep resorting to it.

The problem I’m having is that whenever I try to load a map, it initializes the game data (slowly), and when it’s just about to load the game, the audio stutters endlessly and the game freezes. It never gets any farther than that.

I’ve looked for solutions on Google, so inb4letmegooglethatforyou. None of them are proving to be helpful.

I think the problem might be that I may have fucked something up when I tried extracting something to the garrysmod/garrysmod folder. The game was running perfectly fine up to this point.

I tried reinstalling Gmod, but all it does is put all the old stuff back in, including what may be potentially corrupt files and such.

Can someone help me out with this?

Rename your garrysmod folder (steam/steamapps/<steamname>/garrysmod) to garrysmod old and start up Garry’s Mod. See if that fixes your problem.

What is the problem with running it windowed? I run it windowed all the time, since you can manage multiple programs in the same time.

Nothing more than personal preference. I just like playing most of my games full screen.

I’ve the opposite.

No dice. It still happens.

have you tried using -fullscreen in the start up options?

That’s not the problem. The problem is that the game crashes if I don’t start it windowed, load the map, THEN switch to full screen.

Have you tried verifying your cache?