I’ve been playing the game for about 6 weeks, and I constantly find myself visualizing and thinking of implementation ideas or potential changes. I used to play with a bunch of my IRL’s, and we would often have discussions and talks about creative ideas for the game. I’ve seen several lists posted on the forums as well as on the subreddit /r/playrust, however I didn’t want to make my own post until I was confident I had plentiful quality ideas.
I am open to critique, as most of these ideas are just rough ideas with minor detailed speculation at this point. I have not thoroughly sat down and reviewed each and every idea to perfection, but I have spent quite a lot of time thinking them through and making sure I felt they belong in the game or have potential in some way.
Before I write down my list and details, I think it’s important that you get a general understanding of which direction i believe the game should take, in order to reach its maximum potential.
The game is currently in Alpha, as we all know and are reminded of constantly. There are a lot of placeholders currently in the game, and the developers have stated that they want to have a more realistic approach to how your character develops in the game. Military grade weapons, armour and items are supposedly being either delayed substantially or removed entirely. I feel like this is the correct approach. My vision includes a world where players are introduced to the most basic survival at the get-go. Once they play for a few hours and get “Settled” with their first tiny base and most basic tools, they can start working their way through the centuries in a slow and thorough manner.
Building your first wooden base should not be accomplished by gathering 380 wood and setting up your 1x1 wooden base with a metal door, all accomplished in 30 minutes.
Furthermore, I believe the game needs a lot more end-game substance in order to attract long-term players and sustain growth. There needs to be more to the end game than gathering resources, killing zombies and raiding a base. Expanding the world and increasing the quantity of content is the way to go about this. The game needs more mystery and unknown aspects, as well as more time consuming challenges at the very end-game level.
So, excuse the rant above, but I feel like the general vision needs to be understood before the complete list makes sense in the grand scheme of things. Off we go:
- More diversity among Raw Resources: Copper, Tin, Iron, Sulfur, Steel and Aluminium.
- Smelting and processing of Raw Resources to create high quality metal types for use in crafting items. (examples: Weapons, Arrowheads, Structures, Structural Reinforcement, etc)
- Water, if the thirst-system is implemented. Can also be used to fill dug-up holes and as base-protection (more on this further down)
- Resource Caves: Caves that are randomly generated in/along mountains and mountain-ridges. They are instanced, and require a loading screen. Inside the caves one can find wildlife and a metric fuckton of resources (rocks).
- Remove Zombies
- Implement Human NPC’s. The NPC’s are located in camps around the world. The camps vary in size and number of humans, and their level of progression (type of items/structures) also vary. Very few military-grade camps, and these are often bigger and requires manpower or end-game items to take out/raid.
- A much bigger and wider game-world. Several islands and perhaps a mainland. Tiny islands that players can raid (tribes of human NPC’s may inhabit these islands) and build bases on/within.
- Bigger servers (the option at least) where the admins can choose how much of the land-area they want to use, as well as the player slot limit. (Example: 5x size of current map, 500 or 1000 player limit)
- Digging system. Digging should be a time-consuming process that requires a shovel (shovels can be made of different material) - The player marks a square for digging, and the same way one would hatchet a resource-pile, they can dig through the marked square. Once they reach the bottom and have successfully dug a 1x1 square, they can dig in either direction (down, sideways or up) - The digging system could require pillars to be placed when a certain size of terrain is dug out underground.
- Underground building. Through digging, players can choose to build structures, even entire bases underground. This should obviously be a time consuming and perhaps require heavy resource use.
- Underground collapse: This would basically mean that if pillars are not placed within a certain time-frame of digging through x amount of squares, the support would give in, and the ground above collapses. This could be used as a raiding tactic to destroy entire bases. In order to prevent this, one would have to implement underground reinforcements underneath the base, and perhaps some other ideas (feel free to add to this) to prevent this from the defenders standpoint.
- Water: As mentioned above, it could quench thirst, but also be used to fill in dug-up squares and form defenses around the base.
- Overground buildings. The ability to build in trees. Uses several trees to stretch planks between in order to create bigger bases. There could be a limit to the amount of structures, as trees should only be able to carry a certain weight. Perhaps a way to destroy these entirely as well? (Haven’t thought too much about this, feel free to add suggestions!)
- Seasons: Different season that change according to a set timeframe. Perhaps one would go through all season within 1 month.
- Natural Disasters: Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Blizzards, Oceanic Storms, etc. Different types of events based on location on the map, which island etc.
- Different terrain and environment on each island
- Mainland composed of several types of terrain. Jungle, Desert, Mountains, etc.
- Skills for different tasks you do. Chopping Wood, Mining Ore, Crafting Weapons, Crafting Armour, Crafting Items etc…
- Naturally you’ll get more skilled at what you do, as in real life. This would be a realistic implementation that make it more strategic to accomplish different tasks if playing alone, or divide the tasks and become experts if you’re playing as a group.
- When reaching a high mining skill, one would get better at making the most of the rock, thus gathering more ore from the node. Same with lumber and other skills.
- Credit to Axzter for the skill-system suggestion
- Several new types of wildlife. I’ll list one type below that need descriptions. Otherwise: Lions, Leopards, Panthers, Bulls, Cows, Birds, etc
- Monkeys: They could be holding stolen loot from NPC camps, and perhaps use clever movements to prevent being killed. Uses trees and branches to swing around.
- Water-based animals: Sharks, Fish, Whales etc
- New raw materials gathered from the new types of wildlife. Respective types of meat, different types of bones/tusks/pelts etc
- Packs of animals: Basically certain types of animals that often travel in packs. Wolves, Bears (mother and cubs perhaps), Deer, etc.
- Rare Spawns: Ferocious and/or massive animals that pose a big threat and are hard to take down. Gorillas, Mammoths, Elephants etc. These may drop some type of rare-material that are used for end-game items.
Items & Structures
- All structures and items should take time to construct on the spot. No more instant-placement.
- Boats / Rafts: These could be custom made. Depending on the way you build your boat/raft, it holds up against weather and waves. If you build a tiny raft, tough weather could destroy the craft entirely and kill you and your potential crew. Storms could be a random factor that could even destroy bigger constructions, thus building big & strong rafts or boats would be safer if you want to transport a lot of items between islands or to/from the mainland.
- Lifts: These can be attached to ceilings or from cliffs in order to rappel down or swing yourself up/down. Think 1700’s wooden lifts with ropes and swing-wheels.
- Siege Weapons: Catapults, Rams, Massive Crossbow-construction to fire off a zipline that can be used to get ontop of things.
- Base Defense: Trapwires, Spike Fences, Barbed Wire.
- Gardens: Creating gardens on squares around your house in order to harvest raw food or food-ingredients.
- Fireplace: Used to cook more complex food items, that give you extra benefits or regain your health faster.
Weapons & Armour
Javelin (throwing spear)
Clubs (perhaps these can immobilize/stun your opponent?)
Poison Darts (shot through pipe)
Throwing Axes (slow and inaccurate, but hits hard)
Improved Bows (different types of strings/shaft, perhaps a type of scope?)
Arrowheads (different materials used, see below. Poison/Fire could be added)
Keep the current armour-types in game, but make kevlar exclusive and very rare to get hold of. The crafting cost should also be significantly increased.
Military grade weapons should only be craft-able by the uttermost high-end materials.
Military grade weapons should require assembling
Realistic amount of parts that need to be assembled.
RPG (Fires missiles that have an explosive effect and damages buildings, but requires more materials. Could also be relatively inaccurate)
More weapon types (Counter-Strike have several other models that could be used for inspiration)
A more primitive type of explosive should be used for raiding in the early stages of the game. Gunpowder created by Sulfur is realistic and works fine, but perhaps make the actual item a gunpowder barrel or scrap-metal container.
C4 could still be in the game, but as with the other military grade items, should require a lot of time to craft as well as high-end materials and several parts. Fuse, High Quality Gunpowder, Container, Wrapping etc…
The above weapons could be created according to the resource-system mentioned earlier. Different types depending on which material used, in order to increase damage/weight/speed/accuracy.
- Parry / Block / Dodge
- Hard Swing (slow, high damage)
- Light Swing (fast, less damage)
- Prone: Being able to lay down with your entire body. Can be advantageous when setting up an ambush, or when camping for enemies. Crawling in prone stance as well. Source: Yepen
- Self explanatory. Basically a means to customize your character
- Group-System. Basically a system where you tell your group-mates apart from your enemies.
Thank you for your time. Feel free to add critique or even more ideas / changes to these ideas. I might just update the list if i feel like your contribution is decent and fits well with the general vision.
PS: I do not claim any kind of ownership over the ideas above. Most of them are genuine ideas that I have thought out myself, however there are ideas that I have seen elsewhere on forums, as well as ideas the developers themselves have though about, such as the arrowheads and bow improvements.