GameMode Idea: PaperWeight

I had an Idea yesterday about a Gmod gamemode. Something I like to call; “PaperWeight”

READ THIS: I AM NOT AN LUA SCRIPTER OF ANY SORT THIS IS MERELY FOR IDEA-MAKING AND/OR INSPIRATION
PLEASE GIVE CREDIT FOR IDEA IF YOU USE/TWEAK THIS

PaperWeight basically works like this;

– Everything except players are on somewhat of a 2-D field below the player, but at the same time colliding with the player.

– The objects/vehicles/etc have normal colliding but are still 2d on the ground

– As of yet, there is no REAL point to the gamemode. But the base of it is the idea (mostly).

– Weapons would be 2-D until picked up, then they would be brought into the third dimension to the player.

– Vehicles would work much like weapons except they stay in 2-D when players use them they appear to float.

– When props/vehicles break or explode they create 3-d explosions (if they explode) and simply tear on the 2-D surface.

– Things such as cubes or boxes would still work the same way they already do, however they are only visible on this 2-D plane. otherwise you collide with it as if it were 3-d and in front of you.

– Looking at the floor would be much like looking at a map perfectly top-down. Everything would have a 2-D feel to it.

– Although I don’t know if anyone will even read this, I hope that it will inspire ideas, or at the very least inspire a relative idea.

AGAIN THIS IS JUST AN IDEA, PLUS IN HINDSIGHT I’M STARTING TO REGRET MAKING MY IDEA PUBLIC, BUT I THOUGHT WHAT THE HAY.

Will update as idea becomes more and more clear.

What? That’s pointless, and impossible to “take away” a dimension. what’s the point? the objective? to deathmatch and blow stuff up? What’s the fun in that? There’s no cover to hide behind, no tactics, just bullrush the enemies.

The idea seems somewhat pointless, taking away a dimension makes it 33% worse. :v:

Ye idea is intresting but i cant imagine any good use for it.

Not impossible. He’s talking about a pseudo-3D gamemode. It’s 3D, but it’s all top-down and players are restricted to the ground (I think?).

I thought he meant litterally flatten them. as in take a picture of the model from above and apply it to the ground in that sort of fashion.

That’s still possible. You could literally flatten the model by scaling it.

Good to see that my idea wasn’t a complete flop.

Sounds interesting.

Don’t act like you have anything special here. You make ideas just like anyone else can.

Grease, I totally forgot about flattienign it that way :stuck_out_tongue:

And is it just me or is the quick reply box cooler now?

Does that work in other directions, for a Paper Mario effect?

It should work in all directions. **[Entity.SetModelScale

http://wiki.garrysmod.com/favicon.ico](wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Entity.SetModelScale)** uses a vector to represent how it is scaled.
Something like this clientside:
[lua]
/---------------------------------------------------------
Name: gamemode:PostPlayerDraw()
Desc: The player has just been drawn.
---------------------------------------------------------
/
function GM:PostPlayerDraw( ply )
ply:SetModelScale(Vector(1, 1, 0.01))
end
[/lua]

That scales down their height.

You fail to comprehend my post. I, in fact, thought of deleting this post afterward thinking “What a stupid idea.” So I’m not acting like I have something ‘special.’ But I am still glad that people are looking at my idea and not flaming the living hell out of it.

With more thought it would be a fun game mode.

Needs some kind of objective (like cap the flag, or out play your oponents)