Greetings to all. This is my first time here. I’ll be honest, I immediately registered after I learned about the release of the new Sand Box game. I would like to suggest or clarify some future or existing features of the game.
I do not know where to suggest my topic, so that the developers can notice me and answer my questions. I think I’ll write here for now.
Of the main things that interest me, this is:
- Features of the engine.
- Tools. (helpers for designing, modeling and correcting, changing)
- Lighting, shadows, textures. (working on brightness adjustment and physics and shadow adjustment)
- Realistic game play.
Features of the engine.
I am a kind of “designer” only interested in constructing everything that is possible (and build scenes). The possibilities of Garry’s Mod do not allow me to recreate this or that form of that… what I’m going to construct. The number of static props always gave a low FPS and in the future did not allow me to continue working.
Therefore, I am concerned about this question - Can the new engine fix the problems of the old engine? I certainly do not hope for the" all possible " engine, but at least it will increase the limit of propov at least 5 times more?
And how will the engine react to a large number of static objects? Will it all depend on the engine itself, or on the power of the computer?
I am very worried that in the new sandbox, I will not be able to own such tools as from the old one - Garry’s Mod. Roughly taken tools from Garry’s Mod mods:
- Improved Stacker - The best assistant to create the shape of different items. It speeds up the work of creating certain forms several times faster, and not only that.
- Precision Tool - A tool that greatly helps to move objects exactly up to a millimeter. My most favorite tool, without which it is impossible to create a surgical model for complex and sophisticated work.
- DBOT’s Tools for GMod - A tool that allows you to do symmetric construction. The most flexible and useful tool, which is unfortunately a given moment… it needs to be improved.
- Improved Polyweld Tool - Perfect welding. Welding, which allows you to fasten objects exactly as we want! And no more!
- And other tools to help you design with convenience, precision, and speed.
Will these essential tools be included in the new game? Or there will be their analogues, or the possibility of installing them… through the Steam Workshop?
Lighting, shadows, textures.
I wonder how the physics of lighting and shadow work.
Can this be manipulated? To change the brightness, location?
Most importantly, the physics of the reflection of light from other planes or objects. I noticed the lighting and the shadows… almost unchanged, they are the same as in Garry’s Mod. That is, we see an object that is illuminated from one side, but behind it is almost pitch black. It is such darkness and should not be, it spoils the realism of the lighting. For example, if you put a cube in a lighted room, then from the opposite side, the shadow should be insignificant, because the light should be reflected from the walls and fall on the back of the cube, making the object more illuminated.
The realism of the game.
The test view disappointed me a little. I just thought, coming from what I saw “an animated character and some items”, I begin to form such an idea that the game will not be able to seem serious and realistic. How to say it… I would hate to play a game that resembles an animated cartoon where I’m going to do serious scenes.
I think we are shown the first models on the test, which simply parade an ordinary person. And soon they can be changed to realistic-human bodies.
The same applies to items that are now similar in appearance to TF2.
If we now compare the test vshenost of the new game with the usual Garry’s Mod, then “Garry’s” is more realistic.
Almost in a hurry, I formulated everything that interested me very much.
I will be very happy if I see the official answers to all questions.
Or, at least, I would be happy to have a normal discussion. (But for such a discussion, I want to see the same designers and snets-builders like me, who will be able to understand my experience)