Garry's Mod minimizing itself randomly

Okay, i’ve had this problem for a while now and it’s annoyed the shit out of me.
Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to figure out the cause or fix it.

I actually don’t even know what’s happening exactly…

When i’m in Garry’s Mod, every so often the game will lock up for maybe 5 or 6 seconds and then everything goes black and then my desktop appears.
Basically, Garry’s Mod, for whatever reason, minimizes itself.

The thing is, I can still hear what’s going on in the game and if I try moving around I can still tell I have full control of the game, and can even still type in chat.

When I ALT-TAB and try to bring the game back up, I actually find that the game is still maximized, but it’s off screen and there’s a tiny black box in the upper left corner of my screen.
If I try minimizing the game, everything that you would expect happens.

Basically, it’s as if for whatever reason, don’t know why or how, but when the game comes back after being locked up, the window for it is off screen and the only thing I can do is open the task manager and stop the program there.
It seems to be completely random and unpredictable too. I have no idea what’s causing it or how to stop it.

Has this been happening to anyone else? I hope someone knows what’s going on here so I can fix it.

I’m not a pro in this topic but assuming you have Vista or 7 you could try switching to the classic Windows theme to see if DWM (aero interface) is causing it.
Also some programs can “steal focus” so you might want to check if there’s a popup window or something when your game gets minimized.

And in the game settings, try running it with -windowed -noborder, that works best for me.

I might be shooting blanks here but these are some things to start off with.

Thanks for the tips.
I’ll try and see what works / doesn’t work.

I can’t imagine it’s Aero or anything like that…

I have 12 Gigs of RAM. :v: