Garry's Mod UI graphic glitch

I can only start Gmod in directx 70 mode. 80 or 81 crashes out with an error about not being able to write to memory. 90 or 95 just results in a pure black screen.

Once in dx7 mode, the main menu, it has black lines on the words for the menu choices. I can see the words, but theres just black lines on em.

I can start into single player mode. The loading screen has a blacked out box.

Once ingame, I have no UI (main problem). If I minimize gmod and restore it, it works again. It glitches out again as soon as I press “Q” however. Ideas?

I only seem to have this problem on Windows XP btw.

• Yes I know my GPU isn’t made for games but I know for a FACT that Garry’s Mod does play without graphics glitches or anything on this card.

• It plays fine on Vista, 7, Crossovers on Mac, and Wine on Linux.

System Specs

• Intel 950GMA
  • Intel Celeron M (1.6GHz)
  • 2GB RAM
  • Windows XP
  • Laptop

Any ideas?

hmm, buy a nvidia 7600 GS, run it without the DX7 mode

Can’t upgrade a laptop.

Next suggestion?

…Anyone?

Gmod requirs dx8+ so you really need a new grafics card. I had the same blem once and I crashed on fx or decals

But it works fine in any other OS, except XP. and my DirectX is updated also. My GPU can support DX9 too :confused:

…Then upgrade your OS.

Source has launch options to go as far back as DX6. I don’t think going back to DX6 does anything, though. HOWEVER, I know it works if you tell it to use DX7.

So, Source (and thus GMod) requires at least DX7.

[editline]05:32PM[/editline]

He’d have to upgrade his system to do that without issue.

you CAN upgrade a laptop, you just have to buy a mobile graphics card and not origonal ones, but be very careful installing it, but really i would reccomend getting a repair shop to do it.

alternatively just buy a new, better laptop, or even better a computer

No my laptop is only upgradable by CPU and RAM. I might be able to pull some miracle in finding a mini pci graphics card or something but I highly doubt this is even possible.

I have no money to even upgrade to a newer computer anyway.

I know I could upgrade, but I just wanted to know why Gmod sucks on XP, but works fine in any other OS. It even works fine on Mac or Linux in crossovers, which I would have expected this kind of issue to have came up on…