Garrysmod fails to launch

I recently reinstalled steam, garrysmod, and my source games, i ran the source games, then tried running garrysmod, steam says it is preparing to launch garrysmod, then nothing happens, I have reinstalled grrysmod, and steam but nothing seems to work, there are no error popups, and steam doesnt seem to notice anything wrong.

i have a quad core processor, 4gb ram, radeon 5800 HD graphics card.

umm this probably isnt the best way to do this but i cant seem to find the edit button… (its 5:30 Am so thats probably why…)

well, after comparing :
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\garrysmod

i noticed that while the other person had 6 files i only have 4… the missing files are LOGS (probably not important) and PLATFORM (maybe a little important?)

well… after posting this I of course see the edit button, I’m terrible sorry for the double post, hopefully it wont happen again.

I wonder if this would help? http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Cleaning_GMod

I tried that a couple of times, but it still wouldn’t launch… i sent an email to the garrysmod support email, it had a bit more information so il go ahead and post it…

I recently reinstalled steam, garrysmod, and my source games, i ran the source games, then tried running garrysmod, steam says it is preparing to launch garrysmod, then nothing happens(the steam launching popup disappears), I have reinstalled grrysmod, and steam but nothing seems to work, there are no error popups, and steam doesn't seem to notice anything wrong.

hl2.exe doesn't launch.

i have a quad core processor, 4gb ram, radeon 5800 HD graphics card.

after comparing to another person's file :
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\garrysmod

i noticed that while the other person had 6 files i only have 4.... the missing files are LOGS (probably not important) and PLATFORM (maybe a little important?)

Note, after i reinstalled all of this, i did NOT install/start running, anything new

I first reinstalled to move steam from one harddrive, to another (after reinstalling windows steam was on a secondary harddrive, the reinstall moved it to my primary harddrive)

there is 80Gb free space, so it is not a space issue

if any more information is necessary, please, be sure to inform me.

although I doubt its relevant, i have teamviewer so if you need to see anything I would be willing to co-operate with it.

I think i know what is wrong, but I am not sure how to fix it, it looks like I am having the same issue that the poster of this thread is.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=940404

But he only has 3 posts, and I am afraid he is less active than I am, so i doubt he will respond to my message for information the the registry values he removed, thus I turn to you all… what registry values do you think he is talking about? Please don’t post things like “messing with the registry is dangerous” as I know that and have already backed up my entire registry.

Any values you can name would be helpful, as would any tools that could make it easier to do, as regedit is likely not the most efficient or safest way to remove the required values.

I can see you have xfire also, PLEASE Make sure xfire ingame is turn off if your using steam commuity ingame.

Look in the settings in xfire, There should be a tab with “IN-GAME” on it that lets you set the hotkeys.

I’l try that, but it was uninstalled at the time i started having the issue

We share the same problem, I wonder if it is something with the download or what.
I’ve been comparing files with others that work and I can’t find anything wrong at all.

My only conclusion is the download itself currently.

I just removed every value in my registry with anything to do with steam, il message you if it works as well as reply here, if it doesnt, I have messages in with steam support, and garrysmod support, if you dont get if fixed by then, il message you/reply here about the results

It might also depend on OSs. My Vista had taken about 30 minutes to run Gmod first time and I have 2GB of Ram. Its not the game, it might be the runtime on a computer. I had that sometimes while on Vista.

Send me the support information anyway. Maybe I’ve missed something.

I got it fixed, I sent you a message about how i fixed it, but for anyone who reads this post, I installed an older version of directx and set it to use the launch option -dxlevel 80

Older DirectX fixed it? Dont you have DX10? If you did, it shouldnt have been a problem.

Hello I have the same problem with you guys.I have been checking facepunch for some time now and I see there are a lot of guys who experience the same.You got it fixed with an older Dx?Does it still work?If you have any additional info I will appreciate it because I have this problem 3 months now.

Thanks

Sorry For the late response, Yes it still works, I was running DirectX 11 at the time, I Downloaded the earlier version, set the dxlevel and it has worked since.