So yea I got bored of working on this and decided to release it. It’s a (mostly) playable version of minecraft in garry’s mod, but instead of trying to recreate the look and feel of the original minecraft I wanted to try and bring more elements of GMod gaming to it. So there are custom textures and block types, not minecraft style.
For those of you who don’t know what minecraft is, you don’t know what you’re missing out on. Head over to http://www.minecraft.net and try out the free creative version. You’ll pick it up, it’s real simple. For those of you who do know what minecraft is, this is an implementation of the creative mode in GMod.
- I recommend if you host this, you limit your server to 12 players. This gamemode will not handle any higher player counts.
- Remember to host gcraft_creative, and not gcraft
- All world data is stored in data/gcraft/world_data/
- If you delete these files, the world will not automatically generate
- To generate a new world, see below
- To set the spawn point, type gcr_setspawn whilst standing at where you want players to spawn.
- To “lock” the current “chunk” (each chunk is 6x6x6 blocks), type gcr_setzone 1. This will make the text at the top turn into “Spawn Zone”. (I think gcr_setzone 2 makes it “Locked Zone”)
- To generate a new level (you’ll need to do this the first time you host the gamemode), type gcr_generate Flat.
- You must use gcr_3456_b1 or gcr_3456_b2, no other map will work!
- The map is included with the download.
- gcr_mesh_distance (default 1152) - This is the view range in source units of the world. Make it 9999 to see everything at once.
- Aim at a block. Use left click to delete it, or right click to add a block.
- To change block type, hold Q and select a different block.
Media - Very Very Very Very Old Pictures
Media - Slighly Newer Pictures
I hope a developer sees the potential in this and goes on to make some sub gamemodes, like Castle Wars or something. (I already started this some time ago, if someone wants what I got so far just PM me. It’s about 20% finished.)
Feel free to post your pictures of awesome stuff you made in GCraft here! I might just add them to OP.
This is, confusingly, called the same thing as Overv’s minecraft-in-gmod gamemode. Overv’s version looks more like the original minecraft. This is not Overv’s version. Nothing was “stolen”, we in fact helped each other whilst developing our gamemodes.
Overv - for general help with the concepts used
Bekka - general scripting, helped out with ideas too (and fun with google documents )
Blackops - Pointed out some bugs and their fixes