Getting a whole number from derma slider?

Hello everyone, I’ve created a derma slider that i would like to return the number thats selected, My code is this:

local taxSlider = vgui.Create( "DNumSlider", taxMenu )
		taxSlider:SetPos( 75, -10)
		taxSlider:SetSize( 150,100 )
		taxSlider:SetText("Tax amount")
		taxSlider:SetDecimals( 0 )
		taxSlider:SetMin( 0 )
		taxSlider:SetMax( 100 )
		taxSlider:SetValue( 0 )

local taxConfirm = vgui.Create("DButton", taxMenu)
		taxConfirm:SetPos( 110 , 100 )
		taxConfirm:SetSize( 80, 30 )
		taxConfirm:SetText("Confirm tax")
		function taxConfirm:DoClick()
			taxAmount = taxSlider:GetValue()
			print(taxAmount)
		end

Now thats all fine, Except once i click Confirm tax, I get numbers like this:

How can i make it so it returns the whole number, No rounding down or up.

math.round :v:

How simple can that be?

Like i said, I dont want to use rounding because the numbers can be 64.9 and then it returns 65, And that doesnt return the true value the user specified.

[lua]taxSlider.ValueChanged = function(pSelf, fValue)
pself:SetValue(math.Round(fValue))
end[/lua]

You know that math.Round takes also an second arg, which determinates how many decimal places to round to?
so i think you are looking for math.Round(value, 1)

That just makes the slider display a constant 0

[editline]13th November 2014[/editline]

Yes I’m aware and i have tried it, Also that would return number.1stdecimalplace and that isnt what i need.

Honestly, the SetDecimals function should take care of this automatically; I may do a pull request to automate this unless someone else does it first.

Yeah I’ve tried to use SetDecimals function, It just doesnt seem to work.

[lua]local intstring = tostring(fValue)
local intstring2 = string.Explode(".", intstring)
intstring = tonumber(intstring2[1])
[/lua]
something something like this then? i can’t find an proper function to strip the demicals out, so the way over string.

Ill try it out later if there’s no shorter method.

I think someone added math.Truncate to remove decimals. There is also math.floor and math.ceil ( which either is the whole number, or is stepped up or down depending on the decimal value and the function.

[LUA]
local num = 345.453234
local integral, fractional = math.modf( num )

print( integral, fractional )
–> 345 0.453234
[/LUA]

[lua]local SkinSlider = vgui.Create( “Slider”, BodygroupPanel )
SkinSlider:Dock(TOP)
SkinSlider:SetMin(1)
SkinSlider:SetMax(NPCModel.Entity:SkinCount())
SkinSlider:SetDecimals(0)
SkinSlider:SetValue(skin)
SkinSlider.OnValueChanged = function( panel, value )
skin = value
NPCModel.Entity:SetSkin(skin)
end[/lua]

Direct copy from my code, couldn’t remember it earlier. It probably works for DNumSlider too.

Why not math.floor() or math.round(x-0.5)?

I don’t understand, why do you need a function to strip the decimal out? Just math.floor it…
I would understand if you needed the decimal part, but if you just need the whole number, just floor it?

Obviously the 1st thing i would do is attempt to round it.

Whenever i use math.floor() if the number was say 33 it would return 32? thats swhy i made this thread and said i didnt want to round…

Use the method rejax posted. Does exactly what you’re looking for.

math.floor rounds down - so 32.987 would be 32, even if your control is displaying a value of 33.

Any solution we give you is going to “round” the number because the actual value is different from what is being displayed by your control - when you set the decimals to zero it rounds the value automatically so it will always show as the nearest whole number.

math.floor / ceil functions don’t round, they step. It works essentially just like math.Truncate ( except truncate allows you to specify the number of decimals to retain ).

Any time you have a decimal, it steps to the whole number below while ceil steps up.

number / floor / ceil
0 / 0 / 0
1 / 1 / 1
1.0000000000000001 / 1 / 2
1.9999999 / 1 / 2

It doesn’t matter what the decimal is, if the number isn’t whole then floor / ceil will make it whole.