Getting light into a large place...

I need to get light into a hollow cuboid of dimensions 7168 x 7168 x 3584.

Light entities don’t appear to reach far enough, or completely illuminate near their source and not anywhere else.
I’m not going to turn the ambient light up.
I’m not going to move the sun.

How would I do it?

Change the quadratic falloff to 0 and set linear or constant to 1.

I’ve added that and I’m just compiling now.

To save making another thread, this is also about large places so I suppose it could fit, when I compile normally it seems VVIS takes forever (and I’ve never been able to let it run to completion as it took so long). I’ve used glview and optimised my map, and now the only things which visleaves should be made from are the three areas of water (one is a cuboid, the other two are irregular shapes) and the skybox walls which, since the map I’m making is a spacebuild map, are huge (but aren’t at the very edge of the grid).

glview shows that the top and bottom huge brushes have multiple visleaves on their visible face and not like a grid of the same size but some are bigger than others and some are small, and the vertical 4 brushes have rectangular visleaves which extend from their bottom to their top. Why is this? How could I reduce the VVIS compile time?

There’s a modified VBSP available that increases the max size of default VIS leaves.
Or use a func_viscluster.

Just out of curiosity, what are you making?

Why are you using glview? Just go to map>load portal file imo.

There is no “load portal file” in map.

A map for a Spacebuild server I’m an admin on.

Use source engine 2009.

Ok, map > load portal file doesn’t show anything different to glview, and glview showed it more clearly…

Also since I’ve increased lightmap grid size on things and made more things func_detail, the time VRAD takes has increased considerably…

You need Constant set to 1 and Linear & Quadratic set to 0. Use a light entity with whatever colour you want and a good amount of brightness. If the walls are visible, I recommend you use a lightmap scale of 128 (or even higher).

Thanks I would try this but VRAD is taking so long to run now that I’m now trying to find out why VVIS and VRAD are taking so long.

[editline]24th December 2010[/editline]

I stretched a func_viscluster over the largest part of my map possible without touching water and textured it with the trigger texture like the valve wiki said to. . .

. . . no noticable difference.

Heres a compile log before I stopped.

After removing the water in the level, the VVIS time took only about 10 minutes as opposed to over 8 hours. I’m fine with removing one irregular area of water but the other one is essential, and it can’t be a cuboid because it needs to fit in a hollow half-sphere.

func_water_analog

Answer to your question: When you choose the color for your light entity you can see the last number is 200 (It’s the brightness of the light), make it higher and your lights will reach much further.

What if you want something that wont make your weapons white?

The size of his room is 7168 x 7168 x 3584. If he puts lights on the top I believe it won’t make your weapons look white at all.

It will leave an ugly looking white blob on the very top of his level.

It’s the only solution bro. I don’t get why he want he has a large room like that why not put multiple light entities on the floor or something. But if you play around with the positions and brightness you shouldn’t have a huge ugly white blob on the walls…

Why not use a normal light and set the constant value to something really high :colbert:

How would I make a light_spot face upwards but the light beam in a round shape like a spot light?

You’re wrong in your technique because Valve included falloff modifiers exactly for this purpose.