🏎️ gKarts - A high speed, VR supporting, Scalable Gamemode

good to see VR isn’t being just shoved off

3 Likes

Thanks! :smiley:
We’re hoping to support a wide variety of inputs and ways of playing the gamemode including VR. We’ll be making this all configurable so you’ll be able to grab the steering wheel, or play using keyboard/steering wheel if preferred whilst still using your HMD. We can go quite far with this, so we will :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Literally makes me shake with excitement, I cannot wait for s&box to be released!

2 Likes

got my eyes on disssssss

2 Likes

are you able rn to create some basics ? i don’t see any vehicle support on the wiki to create vehicles and so on

1 Like

I’m keeping “guesswork” as the final resort currently. A vehicle system requires a lot of physics and maths which needs to be tested as you write it, so it’d be near impossible without that.
We’re hoping to get access to the game soon so I can begin working on it, but we’ll just have to cross our fingers on that one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Jeez this looks amazing, good work so far, I really hope you get a key so we can get some gameplay updates soon! I’ll certainly be following this until release, VR sounds epic too, but I’m mostly glad to see there’s no pay 2 win :smiley:
Good luck :heart:

3 Likes

This does look like it’d be really fun, and also one of those modes that’s easy to make good maps for! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i love this so much guys, i hope you get that key soon

3 Likes

This would be honestly quite awesome to have in S&box, I had considered working on something similar to this, just with a bit more carnage? Cause a kart racer, and a Flatout clone would fit really nicely into the list of available gamemodes to play.

2 Likes

We’ll definitely work hard on giving the gamemode a more “chaotic” feel to it like Garry’s Mod gamemodes used to be. We’ll be doing crazy stuff with crash physics and power ups which should achieve this and boost the gameplay experience overall. :smiley:

Worked on allowing kart body colour tinting today, it’s looking pretty good.
Just needs a few more material tweaks and they’ll be ready for s&box!

EDIT: Should have a blog post coming out later on today which talks about porting our assets :slight_smile:

5 Likes

And finally… a new blog post is live :slight_smile:

This is the first one for a week or so now, it’s been slow recently as there’s a limited amount of things that we can write about when we don’t have access. Hopefully that’ll change soon :wink:

3 Likes

At least, a very early UI design to show off thanks to @sammilt.

We expect to follow a layout like this in the final gamemode, but this is still very early and highly subject to change. We’ve already discussed changing the style of the speedometer and we’re working out a nice way of displaying the power up item you have equipped.

Any feedback/suggestions are more than welcome, let me know via s&box Discord or as a response on this thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this looks amazing guys! have you got a key yet?

1 Like

Not yet sadly :frowning:
Hopefully we’ll be lucky enough to get one soon.

1 Like

damn im surprised you guys were missed out, you really should have keys :frowning:

1 Like

Time to remake some classic F-Zero and Mario tracks.

2 Likes