Release site with more images: http://area51.bunglist.com/
1st Server: steam://connect/gmod.bunglist.com:27015
2nd Server: steam://connect/gmod2.bunglist.com:27017
I took the idea for the basic layout from the “real” Area 51 in the Nevada desert using Google Maps (so secret it’s on satellite view!) and from various websites dedicated to the base.
Intended as a sandbox build map with something for everybody and designed for long-term use on busy servers, after 6 months of development and many betas tested by Bunglist Build regulars (thanks guys!) we are ready to release this map to the public.
Now available for download now is a “Release Candidate” version, any problems discovered in this version will be fixed before the final release, which will be posted here when it is done.
If you want to see map now the latest version is up on our server, drop in and have a look around!
* Does not require any additional games - no need for HL2 Episode 1, Episode 2 or CounterStrike Source
* All textures and models are packed into the bsp with Pakrat - so no missing textures or models
* The whole map zipped is only 19 MB, unzipped only 49 MB (smaller file than hugeflatcontruct).
* Above-ground surface is maximum Hammer grid size
* All hangars and popular build zones are Area Portalled for reduced-lag building
* Teleporter network with central hub near the spawn point
* 3D skybox, maximum Hammer size and 16th scale
* Real-life terrain imported into Hammer from US Global Survey DEM satellite data
* Total ground area is approximately twice the size of flatgrass
* Optimized using every technique covered on the Source SDK developer wiki (compiles in about 10 minutes)
* High security Admin room
* Large open spaces for vehicles and large contraptions
* Huge sky - great for planes, even big enough for Spacebuild ships to fly around
* Two giant runways with interconnecting taxiways
* Control tower with lift for a great view of the surface of the map
* Three hangars with closing doors and area portals for private, lag-free building
* One very tall hanger for particularly large contraptions with a large lift to the underground
* Pool hangar - the pool can be emptied and refilled
* Terminal building
* Bumpy area for vehicle suspension testing
* a UFO!
Giant underground area almost as large as the surface, including:
* Dirt racetrack, perfect for jeeps, airboats and your own vehicles
* Massive underground reservoir with shipbuilding jetties and ramps
* Dark rooms for discos
* Missile silo with concealed launch bay doors, control room and booster pads for “helping” things into the sky
* Anti-gravity chamber
* Shooting range with, respawning barrel targets, mounted guns and an NPC battle with a Strider, Combine soldiers, manhacks and antlions
Video by Spark Media
View from the top of the tall hangar
View from the top of the control tower
NPC Battle Range
Missile Silo Controls
Players - extract to your garrysmod/addons folder
Server owners - extract and place the bsp file in your garrysmod/maps folder
The Admin Room & UFO Controls
Getting in is a little tricky (on purpose):
* You need to go down the big vehicle lift in the tall hanger then at the bottom turn right and right again so you are looking at the wall level with the back of the lift. * Stand on the floor, noclip and go straight ahead through the wall - you should either end up in a plain room with 4 teleporters or get teleported to the control tower base (if you missed). * Keep trying until you get into the room with 4 teles (might take a few tries to get it right). * Take the second tele from the left - all the others will kill you. * When into the next room turn right and take the tele there into the admin room. * Don't noclip in the admin room or the security system will throw you out. Also don't touch the spinning beams for the same reason. * The UFO controls are straight ahead of you next to a monitor - they look like a white play and stop symbol.
The reason I built it this way is that we use uclip on our server, so non-admins can’t noclip thru walls, making the admin room totally secure to all but admins, giving me a place to code e2 or be AFK while I eat cake without getting murdered with a jeep
Mattster.t - the in-map maps and lots of ideas and testing help - “you know what we could put in…”
GMan - some sign textures, lots of ideas, testing and bizarre comments - “Herp-a-derp”
All the regulars at Bunglist Build - thanks for all your suggestions and testing
Helios - mapper of freespace03 and 06 - my hangers were inspired by his (but built from scratch)