gm_badpsychiatry

I’m a novice mapper and i’m looking for advice and help, i just began making an “eye candy” atmospheric map and am looking for constructive criticism and help. This map is a work in progress!

Here is a link to download:

http://fileape.com/dl/M68uRQADyOVLbGlm

I also need suggestions on what to add, the theme is an abandon mental hospital/psychiatric office.

Pictures?

on it

[editline]16th June 2011[/editline]

some of the props i put in didn’t appear in the final compile, any help?

Ensure the prop is being used correctly. There are three ways a prop can be used: physics, static and dynamic.
When selecting a prop’s worldmodel, look at the “info” tab, to see which of the three they can be used in.

I don’t mean to be rude, but this not at all the quality we’ve come to expect from a thread
devoted to amap. I suggest you take a good look at some of the other map threads to see
what exactly I mean.

first of all, Your lighting, is… Well, it’s almost non-existant, it looks like you’ve simply put a
light entity or two there, and hit compile. There needs to be a believable level, and colour
of light, as well as sufficient attenuation to light the room, not a single spot, while the rest
of the room remains in darkness.

Secondly, your brushwork, and architecture is simple and very uninteresting, there’s
nothing going on, its a plain room, with a couple of plain corridors, with no actual doors,
door frames, windows or anything remotely interesting.

Thirdly, your texturing, well that needs some work too, you can’t just paste the same 2
textures over everything, it looks like… Well it just looks terrible. Think about braking up
repetition with architecture, try to think about using textures which complement each other,
not clash. And the decals don’t just go wherever, they look like they were painted on, that’s
not how they’re supposed to look.

Lastly, your props are awkwardly and randomly placed, and the ones that didn’t show up
are due to your placing them as prop_statics when they were designed to be prop_physics
or prop_dynamic.

In a nutshell, go look at a real psychiatry, real life interior architecture, and especially at
the quality of other threads here, which show a lot more content than a single (or 2) rooms
in their first post.

Don’t take this the wrong way, this purely for your benefit, I’m not trying to berate you,
(apart from posting your own thread when this is clearly not threadworthy) , I’m just trying
to point you in the right direction. Check interlopers for good tutorials regarding everything
mentioned above.

Tis abit blocky

That’s what she said, lol.

Well indeed it does… But if the OP was to get some blood smeared over the walls, some better textures, better and more props, flicking lights and jumping beds etc… I actually like the confined idea. Add some holding cells <.<

Eye candy shuld look like this

look at this picture often and then do it in hammer

Blood is one of those things that should be used sparingly, or it becomes comedic. Dim the lights, make them a dirty yellow. The place is abandoned, so use props that look old and rusted.

Look on the internet, there are sites devoted to the abandoned. places such as:

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/index1.htm

Also work out how quick it was abandoned. If for example it was abandoned from necessity rather than being condemned, then the amount left behind might change. For example, an approaching storm might cause people to clear out, leaving much of the stuff behind.

Found another good corridor:

A little harsh and to the point, but the man is on the money.

So much referance here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/ it would take years to read it all. Assuming 10 images average in each thread there are over 22,000 images in the hospital section alone; keep working on it.

I LOVE that site, so much of my inspiration came from there…

Thank you. Book marking this website.

I wanted to make it dark and make the lights only in some areas. thanks for all the help though! im going to have updates comming.

ok, i can’t get the map off of all light, whenever i compile and launch everything is the same brightness, help?
and again, i checked how the props are to be used and bot phisics and static are chacked, does that mean they can be either? the soda machine, book shelves, and buckets are invisible.

Most likely you have a leak.

post compile log in [co de]

** Executing...
** Command: "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\half-life 2\hl2" "H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jul  7 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.vmf
Could not locate 'GameData' key in h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\half-life 2\hl2\gameinfo.txt
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
   skybox/sky_day01_01*.vmt
 ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...
done (0) (23983 bytes)
Error! prop_static using model "models/props_interiors/vendingmachinesoda01a.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
Error loading studio model "models/props_interiors/vendingmachinesoda01a.mdl"!
Error! To use model "models/props_combine/stasisvortex.mdl"
      with prop_static, it must be compiled with $staticprop!
Error loading studio model "models/props_combine/stasisvortex.mdl"!
Error! prop_static using model "models/props_c17/shelfunit01a.mdl", which must be used on a dynamic entity (i.e. prop_physics). Deleted.
Error loading studio model "models/props_c17/shelfunit01a.mdl"!
Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Compacting texture/material tables...
Reduced 24 texinfos to 19
Reduced 8 texdatas to 8 (187 bytes to 187)
Writing H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.bsp
1 second elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\half-life 2\hl2" "H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jul  7 2010)
2 threads
reading h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.bsp
reading h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.prt
 340 portalclusters
 749 numportals
BasePortalVis:       0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
PortalFlow:          0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (6)
Optimized: 12 visible clusters (0.00%)
Total clusters visible: 48994
Average clusters visible: 144
Building PAS...
Average clusters audible: 174
visdatasize:31953  compressed from 32640
writing h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.bsp
6 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\half-life 2\hl2" "H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jul  7 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator     
2 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[45 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.bsp
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (0.17 seconds)
4670 faces
3853280 square feet [554872448.00 square inches]
0 Displacements
0 Square Feet [0.00 Square Inches]
4670 patches before subdivision
315530 patches after subdivision
12 direct lights
BuildFacelights:     0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (4)
BuildVisLeafs:       0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...
** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "H:\program files\Steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\sourcesdk_content\hl2\gm_badpsychiatry\Gm_badpsychiatry.bsp" "h:\program files\steam\steamapps\skatexemericax24\half-life 2\hl2\maps\Gm_badpsychiatry.bsp"

the vending machine and shelf needs to be a prop_physics

If it says it can be physics or static, it can only be physics.