Hello, this is my first real map. I’ve made some things before, but nothing really worthy of mentioning here. Now after years of practise in Hammer (before that in GTKradiant) I finally got something to release so I can finally leave this behind me.
As the name might explains this is a more functional flatgrass map for your sandbox needs. I personally think this one is unique because it has support for literally anything you want to do in a gmod sandbox. Of course some maps allow this too, but on alot of popular building maps i’ve encountered alot of space issues. E.g. Water is only one small square or the traintracks are too narrow in turns or tunnels which makes them derail. Or there are dead-end roads or the flyspace or tunnels are too limited in size which is boring and simply sucks.
In this map you won’t have this problem! I have tested it with big trains, trucks, airplanes, boats and everything is usefull. As long as you build in realistic proportions, shipping cargo containers throughout the map won’t be a problem.
Some technical info:
BSP size (incl. textures): 37.5mb
Required games: Gmod (HL2)
Supported gamemodes: Sandbox
Max players: 128 (wouldn’t recommand lol)
Build time: ~350 hours
- Biggest Skybox possible for flying or whatever big thing you wanna make.
- Supports day and night with the ent. paint tool
- Optimized using hints, areaportals, func_details, max draw distance etc to prevent fps drop even when noclipping through the map.
- Has 3d skybox with ‘infinite’ water. Which makes it look big and nice but also usefull for navigation in air!
- Lots of roads which have plenty of room for trucks etc.
- Lots of water which is useful for small boats, amfibious vehicles and even huge ships.
- Police station with jails and everything needed (some doors start locked from inside).
- Many buildings such as: a cinema, club, stores, garages etc.
- Bridges that can be opened/closed.
- Building areas that can be closed with doors/areaportals so you can build your vehicles in peace.
- Giant flat underground building area for big expensive things that you shouldn’t build right next to spawn if there are lots of players.
- Giant underground wasteland terrain with mountains and some water for your offroad or tank battle needs…
- Giant underground area for car testing needs.
- Underground trainyard with stations and switches and turns and everything you need for trains.
- Inside pool which can be filled/emptied for whatever reason that may be.
- Buttons etc for alot of things.
- Elevators for players or vehicles. Even trucks work, as long as they’re not too long.
- All the space is used. The water is made as deep as possible with keeping the tunnels as high as possible.
- Great for everything you need in a Gmod Sandbox
- Great for building everything
- Great for driving small cars and big trucks
- Great for driving boats and even huge ships are no problem, there is plenty of water.
- Great for flying. The airspace is biggest one possible.
- Great for trains. There are big turns and the tunnels are high enough for the double deckers from drumdevil for example.
- Great for using everything together as some sort of transportation game.
- Great for a default sandbox map where you won’t have to change maps because a certain feature is not supported or limited.
- The lighting is not professional, i’m simply not good at it. I think HDR is too bright and also a headache to optimize so I released it LDR. This won’t really matter if you want to use it as a good sandbox map.
- Textures might be a bit boring and there might be some minor lighting bugs I couldn’t fix.
- There could happen a weird reflection bug when you use Scars on the map. I have no further clue about this.
Great overall sandbox map for everything you need. Please let me know what you think of it. I am not going to release a new version though as I grew tired of it for now.
- I used some road textures from “roadpack”. There are 5 textures from “roadpack/europe” inside the .bsp that are packed with pakrat.
- I used the PHX tracks as traintracks template, eventhough i’ve edited the switches.
- The rest is just HL2, gmod and me.
DOWNLOAD IN THE WORKSHOP!
SOURCE: (read the readme!!)