GM_Thepit

Hallo, this is my first post ever on facepunch but that is completly irrelevant.

What is relevant however is my new map gm_thepit (name subject to change),
the basic premise is that the player has miniture a gm_construct-ish map and a small hole. they create a mining device to enlarge said hole and try to tunnel to the bottom of the map.

The player has to survive rockfalls, water, lighltess conditions and the lightlyhood of there mining device failing, leaving them stranded in a dark, deep chasim.

currently the map only contaians a few estimated km of tunnels and hasent got much varietey in the way of mining. i have included diffrent types of rocks (some are so difficult to destroy is easier just to haul them out of the pit for example) and the tunnels twist a bit but thats all so far.

what i made this thread for was for 3 things:
1: Bugfix; when i run this map in hl2 the gibs from the rock (func_breakable) appear, but do not appear when i run garrysmod. any way to fix this?
2: Explot-fix; the rock (func_breakable) can be moved with the physgun(aka, the physcannon. aka, the blue one) this could lead to some obvious exploits and problems. any ways to stop this?

and finaly

3: ideas; although not primarily what i made this thread for, any ideas/input/feedback. Would be GLaDly apriciated.

I have heard alot of rumors about the admins being very “Generous” with the banhammer, and it would be a truly epic fail to be banned on my first post :frowning:
if i inadvertantly do anything wrong ill edit it out. I only want this map to be all it can be.

You got any screenies of your work so far?

1. http://wiki.garrysmod.com/wiki/?title=Category:Specific_Keyvalues

nope i would like to put some screenshots on but i dont know how and i dont have any. however ill add some once i figure out how.

also thanks for the help metallics. that was a huge help :smiley:

soz for asking so many questions but most of this is relativly new to me.

Relaaxxx man! We’re not going to chew your face off! Ask as many questions as you like, and we’ll try to help you as much as we can. If you can construct a coherent sentence, you’re worthy of a response :wink:

To add screenies, host them on an image site like photobucket. Then add them in either in links or image tags.

Pretty much if you ain’t backseat moderating, or being abusive, and can construct coherent sentances, you won’t get banned…plus you will get any help you need. There are a lot of mappers here that will help if they can.

http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/hydroemperor/gm_thepit/?previewTheme=31&track=addtheme&previewCancelUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fs707.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fww71%2Fhydroemperor%2Fgm_thepit%2F%3Faction%3Dthemeadd

okay some screenshots are there if you get curious. most of them genrally show off some of the ways that you can mine and how to survive most of the dangers faced.

Fixed it for you.

Fix that skybox!

add _hdr to the end of the name.

Glad to help :slight_smile:

You only have to ask nicely (as you have done) and everybody here will be happy to help.

cool, im not bothering to put a complicated skybox in since the player would spend roughly 5 seconds total when they could see beyond the walls, asuming that they need to noclip whilst building, the foucus lies underground.

however having a more sunny skybox or the hdr one sounds nice. where do you put the _hdr, onto the end of the texture name?

thanks alot everyone the map is going along much better than i could hope for :smiley:

Look at the skybox texture… It looks square. You fix that by adding _hdr onto the name in tools>map properties, although if you want a sunnier skybox and have CSS may I recommend militia_hdr.

If you are using the recommended EP2 engine then you would have to port it.

ill fix that problem when it reaces to top of my to-do list. but thatnks for the heads up.

newest problem: the map wont save.
whenever i run it in the hammer launcher (runs on ep2 i think) it says “the system cannot find the file specified” i had a look in my folders and no .bsp exists.

in short somethings preventing hammer from compiling my map. even if i change the file name that its saved as (to bybass any overide problems) it dosent help at all. any idea what could eb causing this?

i still have the vmf however so i doubt that anythings going to be badly lost.

—Edit—

forgot to mention, the problem appears to have occured halfway through mapmaking. the key things done since then are; the addition of the water, painted geometry and making it so some brushes cannot be moved with the physcannon.

of course those are not the only ways that this could not be working

Copy and paste the compile log here. It helps us narrow down any problems that your map has.

here you go:

** Executing…
** Command: “c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe”
** Parameters: -game “c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\half-life 2\hl2” “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (2)
**** leaked ****
Entity func_breakable (2720.00 -1040.00 3696.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3584.0, 3072.0, 7676.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0, 2816.0, 7676.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0, 2304.0, 8060.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0, 2304.0, 416.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0, 2304.0, 800.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2560.0, 3072.0, 7676.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0, 1536.0, 8060.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

FindPortalSide: Couldn’t find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (4096.0, 1536.0, 416.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Candidate brush IDs:

*** Suppressing further FindPortalSide errors… ***
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
material “skybox/sky_day01_0_hdrrt” not found
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_day01_0_hdr to build the default cubemap!
No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “___error”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_day01_0_hdr to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (1) (429257 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…Error! Too many detail props emitted on this map!

** Executing…
orm01424\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
2 threads
reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps

** Executing…
orm01424\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov 8 2007)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[45 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2.bsp” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\half-life 2\hl2\maps\gm_thepits2.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”

hmmm… there was a error back there. probly relating to the amount of detaul bushes. i have a bad feeling that means breakable rocks.

ignore this
should not be here had problem posting

oops two posts D: , the cat was mucking about on the keyboard and i think he stood on something lol.

Go and check for problems, the shortcut is ctrl-P. You’ve got a leak also located at (2720.00 -1040.00 3696.00) (Do not put in the parentheses) At the end of each error with the CONTENTS_SOLID in it, go to those coordinates and delete the bad brushes and remake it.

okay i found all the leaks, fixing that is easy all i had to do was make sure all the water and displacementswere propely walled off. but i still think it wont let me run it because i might have to many detail brushes and it says it cant find the skybox texture.

** Executing…
orm01424\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vbsp.exe”

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Dec 11 2006)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\half-life 2\hl2\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides…
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (2)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10 (1)
Processing areas…done (0)
Building Faces…done (0)
FixTjuncs…
PruneNodes…
WriteBSP…
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2.prt…done (0)
material “skybox/sky_day01_05uprt” not found
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_day01_05up to build the default cubemap!
No such variable “$hdrbasetexture” for material “___error”
Can’t load skybox file skybox/sky_day01_05up to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors…
Finding lightmap sample positions…
Displacement Alpha : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10
Building Physics collision data…
done (1) (430417 bytes)
Placing detail props : 0…1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…Error! Too many detail props emitted on this map!

** Executing…
orm01424\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vvis.exe”

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Nov 8 2007)
2 threads
reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps

** Executing…
orm01424\sourcesdk\bin\ep1\bin\vrad.exe”

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Nov 8 2007)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
2 threads
[Reading texlights from ‘lights.rad’]
[45 texlights parsed from ‘lights.rad’]

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps

** Executing…
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps
orm01424\sourcesdk_content\hl2\mapsrc\gm_thepits2.bsp” “c:\program files\steam\steamapps
orm01424\half-life 2\hl2\maps\gm_thepits2.bsp”

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
“The system cannot find the file specified.”

im going to keep fidling with the skybox untill it works :stuck_out_tongue: then if it still breaks ill have to cut the map short or modify somethings to get more detail brushes

Remove “up” from the skybox texture name in map > map properties.