gm_tornadoalley - Inspired by tornadochase

The map has been released!

I currently have a mapping project going on right now, called “gm_tornadoalley”. It’s the sequel to the unreleased “gm_tornadochase”.

Here is a short video of what the map is going to turn out to be. It’s very short due to a lot of things still unbuilt.

Work on the tornado took about 5 hours just for the storm. The house took me about an hour.

The citadel alarm goes off 8 seconds before the tornado spawns. The tornado can spawn anywhere in the map, at any time. Unluckily for me, in the video, the tornado spawned right next to the house. I didn’t expect that.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4092/gmtornadoalley0002.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4182/gmtornadoalley0003.jpg

The Trailer Park (Hammer)

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/5112/hammer1b.png

This thread was started to collect ideas to make the map better.

The map already takes 1:30 minutes to compile… On fast. So lighting will be up to the players, adding one light boosts the compile time up by literally 15-30 seconds. There’s a light_environment, so don’t freak!

Use displacements on those tracks. Also make that funnel a bit taller if you can

It looks pretty good so far!

Though I know it’s night, I can barely see anything. Turn up the brightness just a tad.

Great I/O work!

-Snip

Fuuuuuck you just gave me (bad) memories of me waiting for Monkeyjoebla’s map :saddowns:

Make it daytime.

Night can be great for dramatic lighting (which this doesn’t have/need), but daytime maps actually do better than nighttime ones.

dust2, 2fort, argentan, etc

Done!

Except that this map is actually going to be released, whether I finish it or not. If I give up, I will give out the VMF file.

Yeah, I wasn’t trying to go for night, I was trying to get everything to fit with the skybox to make it feel “stormy”. I’m building a drive-in theater right now, and I’ll play around with lighting and skyboxes to get a different feel.

I thought about the setting that Monkey used in his map, but for 1) I don’t want to copy his map, and 2) his tornado was better than mine, but it didn’t fit in with the skybox/lighting what-so-ever.

Tornadoes at day can completely block the sun. Even at noon, a large tornado can make it appear as though it is 8pm, which is a detail I like about this map.

If I were you I’d choose a greyer skybox, the blue doesn’t look right IMO

wait wait what. how is there a gold member with 45 posts? what is this madness?

IIRC it’s because a bunch of boards got deleted, reducing people’s post counts

or an old gold. probably the later though.

Remember things like window frames, door frames etc.

It’s the small things that break up repetitiveness which make a massive difference.

I bought gold member when it was first released as a donation status.

At first I read the title as “Tomato alley” and for a second I was mildly confused.
Can’t wait to see how this goes, good luck!

I would rate you mustache if I could.

I’m still laughing at the dumb ratings. No idea how this is dumb, but word up!

It’s dumb because it looks ugly :slight_smile:

haha true… I’m working on it. I’m making two versions, a HL2DM and HL2EP2. I can only do so much with the blend textures on the HL2DM map to make it look alright, but the Ep2 copy should be good.