Gmod crashes when I join a second server

May 2009
233 Posts
When I join another server after being on a server, or exit gmod after being on a server, I get a “hl2.exe has encountered a problem and has closed”, is there any way of fixing this, as I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the game via steam. My graphics card is an Ati Radeon Xpress 200 but I will be getting a new one soon. My gmod plays smoothly in game but I need this problem fixed. I have already increased my virtual memory, and have sorted out my addons. I thought I had fixed this, but i haven’t. I am getting a new graphics card and RAM next week, will this help?

This is the fourth thread about this subject. Have you tought about maybe nobody knows how to fix this?

Yes. But there has to be a fix. Otherwise Garry will have to work on this problem, as it could be affecting others.

Well nobody has gotten the same problem in the last 3 threads. Garry is not going to fix something that isnt wrong.

What is the prob then? Because if no one will fix this or help me, I have a right to a refund.

Do you now? I think not.

Its like buying a car just to crash it into a wall and then get your money back.

To confirm that the problem got nothing to do with your game files, go to steamapps/Your_Account and rename your “garrysmod” folder to “garrysmodOLD” just temporarily. Now start your Garry’s Mod again and test if it works as intended. (This is NOT the same as reinstalling the game in Steam)

Also from personal experience, I know that some anti-viruses and firewalls, especially programs like Zone Alarm, Norton, Nod, AVG, Spyware Doctor, can cause problems like this if they are not configured correctly. You might want to consider temporarily disabling them.

You might also want to check out Steam’s support page for this problem: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7169-TIAV-5361

I’m cleaning gmod, to see if that works. Then I will know what file is pissing with my gmod

[editline]10:01AM[/editline]

Could norton security scan be causing this?

At long last I am sure I have found out what is crashing gmod. It is a map. But I don’t know which one. If you have any skills in readingcrash logs, here is a link to it http://www.filefront.com/14819689/hl2_3943_crash_2009_10_29T13_15_44C0.mdmp